I Forge Iron

Tool prices

I'm planning on attending an auction for a local smith that is retiring, but I'm not sure what sort of prices I should be expecting for a few things.

Specifically, he has several swage blocks and a couple of cone mandrels. Not sure what sort of shape they're in, although since he is a blacksmith I'm assuming they're all usable.

Also, what's (roughly) the going rate for hammers, tongs, punches, flatters, etc.

Pay what you can afford and are willing to to acquire what you need.
Check on new prices in catalogues for the items you are looking for.
Set yourself a figure you are willing and comfortable with to pay for the item.
Avoid getting into a bidding war with "collectors" with deep pockets.
Most auctions also have hidden costs, taxes, commissions etc
Have a look at what you are bidding on before you bid.
Good luck and lets know how it goes.

i would keep my eyes open at the auction and make sure what you are going to bid on is good quilty cause some auctioners also bring in more stuff from other people and places that may be junk or aso that they might just try to pass of as nos or what they think you might want to hear to get you bid and like john said know what you are willing to pay and don't get into a bidding war i have seen that so many times were people get you to pay more that new just don't let it happen to you and good luck on the auction

I know it is true at livestock auctions, Watch for what we call spotters they are hired people in the crowd who bid stuff up and will drop it on you when get their price. Like the rest of the guys have said set a price that you are willing to pay and stick to it. If you are not disciplined enough to stick to your budget get someone you can trust to do your biding for you.

Hope this helps
Larry

P.S. Have fun. We expect pictures and details of your purchases.:p

at this sort of auction: all in really good condition max price: hammers: $10; flatters $12; tongs $5; punches $1; swage blocks $100; cone mandrels $150 depending on size.
You can spend a lot of money if not careful, all should be in really good condition...otherwise, you're on your own

You are talking about the Bill Plant auction? I spoke to Bill recently about it. The larger cone mandrel (4 footer) is a factory cast mandrel while the smaller one (2 footer) is one he made by wrapping bar steel around a cone and welding it as he went. He then ground it relatively flat then had it trued up on a lathe.

Bill has made a few tools in the past, including a 580+ pound anvil which he sold for $2000 a few years ago. I think you can be assured that they are in quite usable condition.

He also taught blacksmithing and had 7 teaching stations set up in his shop.

Bill told me a few stories of how and where he acquired many of his tools. He's a fascinating man with a passion for blacksmithing.

As for the prices that everything will go for, that depends on how many serious bidders attend the auction. I'm thinking that there will be a few members from the Saskatoon guild and the Western Canadian guild there.

I'm planning on attending so maybe I'll see you there!

Yes, I'm talking about Bill's auction. That's kind of what I'm thinking, there will be a lot of blacksmiths attending from all over Saskatchewan and Alberta, plus the local people and probably some antique dealers (ugh).

I'll just have to hope that they take pity on a young blacksmith who's just starting up and not bid everything right out of my price range. (Which is not much of a range, unfortunately.)

Thanks everyone for all the advice about not getting into bidding wars, I do tend to get a bit excited, especially when it's something I really want. Or I fall into the, "Oh, just one more bid, maybe the other guy's done" trap.

Here's the link for the sale, by the way: Auction