I Forge Iron

55 forge

fat pete

I had an interesting experience the other day....I was cursing along in my RV and I came upon a gentleman who asked me to see how I liked his forge. I went around back and there stood 2 55 gal drums....on top of each other....I thought whats this get up....well the gentlesmith said throw some coal in there and turn on the fan.....easiest fire i ever started....rolled up a sheet of paper and threw it in the fire pot and and immediately he threw a couple shovel fulls of coal right on the fire and turned on the blower and viola instant fire so i took a piece of rebar and heated it up in half the time and proceeded to make a little rat tail....this 55 forge was supercharged there was an additional 1/3rd of a barrel on top of the 2 full barrels.....i shut the blower off and the draft in that barrel carried the fireand took the smoke away from any human in the vicinity...it looked a little like a fancifull contraption but it worked really well....in fact to bring it to heat took only a few seconds not 5 min of crankin....the fire was great all protected in the barrel and the ash removal was really good ....right straight outta the bottom of the fire pot down a short tube to a bucket of water....no dust .... very cool opporation nice and clean plenty of draft and great control on the fire...
if you have access to steel barrels you oughta try one of these 55 forge supercharged.....easy to make! and very cheep to build!!