I Forge Iron

Flange mount hydraulic cylinder

Iron Mountain Flux

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members on the forum living within driving distance. 

Once again, we can be a lot more helpful if you post a couple few pics. But in general a round piston can rotate if not guided. Depending on your dies and tooling it may not take much or maybe something serious. I wouldn't worry too much about a rod that diameter deflecting too much IF you keep the work centered on it but that piston is going to generate some scary serious force, seriously, just 1,000psi will develop, 7,854 lbs. of force extending. Cock a tool off center and it will be fired across the shop like a bullet.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Frosty, I just realized you left a "0" off the end of your number of 7854 lbs - looks like a 10" cylinder with 1,000 psi give 78540 lbs of pressure - almost a 40 ton press!  10" is a huge cylinder.  OR, did I miss something in my calculations?