I Forge Iron

Moving a Norton 6DB+table

greenskpr

Just sharing how I handled this task. Nothing earth shattering, but a way to slide 800 lbs if you're by yourself with minimal equipment.  

Press was acquired over the summer from Terry Estes. Got it into the shop with a small skidsteer but couldn't keep it around to pick it up again when it was time to bolt it down.  Table is 400 pounds and press is about the same.  No clearance to use the masonry drill with table in place, and wasn't time enough to make a template before it get set down.

Finalized position, marked holes, levered press onto 3/4" rebar pins, push, drill, push back, set anchors and bolt down. 

The video briefly shows the process .  Time to squish some stuff.

Cheers! 

norton1.jpg

norton2.jpg

Rollers are an ancient way to move large objects.  I have moved large stone blocks that way with my wife and son picking them up in the back and replacing them in the front.  Worked a treat.  My wife said that we could start guilding pyramids.

Very nice fly press.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

NICE fly press! Well done.

Goodness George you two must have quite the nest egg if the missus thinks you can start GUILDING pyramids! :o 

And once again today, I'm thankful for fun typos! Thank you George morning smiles are always welcome.:)

Frosty The Lucky.

:)

We moved the 1200 lb Star power hammer that way using 1in schedule 80 black pipe sections. Debi was the roller replace artist and the adult supervisor. Moved it about 20 feet from the A frame to get it out of the truck to the garage floor, then a right angle turn to get it to the blacksmith  shop door. Went pretty fast without a hitch.

I positioned my 50lb Little Giant on 1/2" round rod with a pinch bar. I highly recommend using larger diameter rollers, even after sweeping the floor even tiny bits of grit stopped it cold, I had to back up a little and sweep, with a fine brush.

Frosty The Lucky.