I Forge Iron

Veteran's Day 2023

George N. M.

On this Veteran's Day I want to reach out to my fellow vets and say that we have shared a unique experience with our service that most folk will never completely understand.  Today, and every day, stand a little straighter and be proud of what we did.  The country is a better place because of our service and, for the most part, we are better men and women for our service.  Even after we got out of the service we have been leaders and have been the people who get things done.

The Anglo-Saxons called the man who stood beside them in the shield wall "shoulder brother."  I salute all my shoulder brothers and sisters.

George

(late of 1/C/1/12 Cav, 1Cav Div (Airmobile), Republic of Viet Nam, 1970-71)

I want to thank all who served, You are they ones who make America what it is. The Freedom to make what we can of our lives is a gift I never fail to remember.

Thank you ALL, you have my sincerest gratitude.

I'll NEVER forget.

Frosty The Lucky.

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, 1918, fighting in WWI officially stopped after Germany signed an armistice agreement with Allies earlier in the day. In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation that changed the federal holiday's name from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.

My Grandfather served with Gen Blackjack Pershing during that time period. Those veterans are no longer with us, except in spirit. He seldom talked about his experiences then, except being a blacksmith in the Pancho Villa Mexican Expedition.

Never forget...

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Everyone wants to thank the vets. While the thanks is appreciated there is one group of people that i do not ever see get the recognition they deserve. The wives, mothers, and grandmothers of us vets. My grandmother watched as her husband went to Europe to fight a war, her son to Vietnam to fight a war, and her grandson sent to the ME to fight a war. Every step of the way they supported us. Everyday spent glued to the TV or radio hoping for a bit of news. Long nights wondering if their loved ones were safe and if they were coming home soon. And then on top of it all they also cared about those we were there with. The care packages sent, the letters wishing us well, they were never for me alone. They were for all my fellow dog faces that had my back. 

So thank you to my brothers in arms, give your mom a hug for me and tell her thanks for the chocolate chip cookies. 

19K, Abrams tanker, 3rd ID, 1st AR, 1st Cav.  

To my embarrassment I hadn't thought of the families and friends of our forces and their sacrifices. I know I worried about friends sent to the Nam and going to services for those who returned in a casket and worse those taken prisoner. Even though I didn't serve I felt some of the anxiety the families did and humbly ask their forgiveness for not asking they be thanked and honored on Veteran's day. 

Since 9/11 people have started calling the families "Gold Star Families" and feel it should include friends. Gold Star Friends.

I won't forget again.

Frosty The Lucky.

I just had a memory.  When my mother I flew here to NC to attend my sisters retirement ceremony from the Army they personally thanked us for giving up time we lost while she served.  We were  suprised and it was a good feeling.  It was a bit of a special ceremony.

USN 1985-1989

Frosty, to be correct, a family with a member serving in the armed forces is a blue star family.  A family who has had a member killed in the service is a gold star family.  You will sometimes see a small flag in a window, white with a red border with a blue or gold star in the middle.  If more than one member is serving there are multiple stars. This goes back to World War 2 and was a way the government recognized military families.

GNM