I Forge Iron

New forge refrractory

Its downstairs but i think it said 10:3. (Im not sure, so relax all) i just figured if someone had experience with it specifically they might share. (Watery, chunky, doesnt stick to blanket etc) Ill tell anyone how kastolite3 works if asked. It didnt say anything about cutting off the 1" of blanket from the ends for said refractory.

Thanks

Plus ive seen over 3 postings on kastolite and thought like medicine things change and improve every 50 years or so. If theres a better way to post such obvious inquiries here, please lemme know. Thanks to all trying to help and not just build self esteem. Some of the kastolite directioons are better than others but im not mad at the most recent poster. Odd approach

One thing people have to remember, not everyone has the ability to have their phone or computer glued to their fingers to respond as every question is posted. People have lives besides the Internet.

Your post is not even 24 hours old, some people check sites daily,weekly or even as long as monthly, so be patient - after all your asking for free advice, don't expect everyone to drop everything to respond minutes after your posts.

Whether hobby or professional, sometimes responses take a bit. For instance it's a national holiday here....deer hunting, most are out hunting and enjoying electronicless peacefulness.

Where are you at thats holiday today? Canadian Queens Day? Ill always wait for good info but i get nervous when im hijacked by trolls( ii think). I hate having to write to people id like help from in the same paragraph as i respond to what other people havent done and dont want to see someone else succeed at. Unfortunately everything seems rushed to beat trolls. Youve got good points about timing and i hope sometime to read your ideas.

Thanks and happy something day. Aim for whites of eyes.

When looking for something on I Forge Iron, the built in search bar is almost useless. If you have read the "Read This First" thread it suggests the best way to do a search.

I will detail it here for everyone who have not seen it. Use your favorite search engine like google. Then type in what you want to look for and end the search string like this site:iforgeiron.com so looking for say curing kastolite the search string would be

curing kastolite site:iforgeiron.com

I just did that and google gave me 516 results in 0.26 seconds.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

There isnt anything about vevors performance i could find, especially w metrakote. I gave up and bought 5 lb of kastolite. I also havent been able to find out about cutting back the wool an inch so i can kastolite it and cover wool 100%. Youre right about searches. I noticed that every google search i was making kept showing here as first few choices but i could never find it first.

Thanks and have a good week.

You could leave the blanket flush or even slightly proud, and still put the kastolite over/around it. This will protect the ends of the blanket, but also the edges of the outer shell which would otherwise deteriorate, warp, rust, etc much faster from thermocycling and oxidization.

At the risk of sounding too cynical, I'd hazard a guess that most people at Vevor don't know what the curing/setting/drying instructions for their refractory are, let alone your average joe blacksmith.

If you have a respirator, wear it when you are first dealing with the unsealed fibres, but once it's coated (if not mistreated) it should be safe.

Mikey's recommendation is to drill a 3mm/1/8" hole in the bottom centre of the outer shell for water or steam to escape. This shouldn't be of too much concern for tiny particles.

21 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Too bad someone hasn't done this before and made a post about it

You're HINTING, Steve? He can't take direct suggestions and you expect just hinting about doing little reading in one of the "Refractory" sub-sections of the  "Propane Forge" section of Iforge to do any good?  It's not like there are a couple thousand posts specifically discussing what he's asking about. 

I know people like this, they'll ask a question and talk over the answer and like this one get angry because nobody answers immediately. Of course if he reads any of the thousands of propane lining discussions he won't get all the attention he gets by trolling the forum. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for respirator idea. Id forgotten buying one because ive only used it once.

Thank you for helping

And "Mikey" sorry i missed your drill a hole part. That sounds exactly as i vaguely remember it and im searching for your post now.

Thanks guys and have a great week.

Really, thanks for help. Ill dissappear after these questions for a year again unless the forge outlives 1 year. I still read, just post free

Tx

Did mikey write that on mine or is that standard? I cant find it. It sounds like what i remember, this is after metrakote right. Was it run increasing gas until the steam stops? Thanks to those helping without being asked. Maybe its the warmth today. Thanks again to helpers. I just want this stuff so i can stay alone and not bother anyone. Bad instruction got me back in only a buttered year. You guys seem alot helpfuller. Thanks

Just to clarify, I'm not Mikey.

The threads we've all been telling you to read are mostly authored by Mikey because he literally wrote the book on burners and forges.

One of his standard pieces of advice when lining a forge is to drill a small hole for water/steam to escape.

You can drill the hole any time before setting/curing/drying your lining, refractory cement and matrikote.