I Forge Iron

Budget forge success

I recently got set up with a vevor 2 burner forge (which I successfully burned the paint off one burner trying to use it as a single burner) and an improvised anvil welded up out of a fork lift tine. I've done some forging before but have never had any sort of instruction. A year or so ago I found this site and through this site found black bear forge on youtube. I'm basically following along with his budget blacksmithing series. After practicing some hooks yesterday, today I managed to make 6 hooks that match close enough I can make a coat rack out of them. I'm happy with the results and even happier with the techniques that I'm learning now.20231103_132807.thumb.jpg.9f78382c8ac769e942b19dd5879986e7.jpg20231103_082120.thumb.jpg.7ff9311954cccc87f483e4a4e6a36d02.jpg20231103_082112.thumb.jpg.a992ed05adb380d19553ecb19baa19f9.jpg

I made a whole pile of hooks the day before that non of them match. These ones I resorted to working all six through each step at the same time. I drew all of them out square, then rounded them all, them bent etc. That way I could compare them to each other as I went and get them more similar looking. 

That's a great improvised anvil dude!  What did you make the horn out of?  How did you mount it?  That honestly looks like it should have its own how to thread in the improvised anvil section. 

The hooks are great too, time and practice are the key. 

Props from 7500' on the other side of the state.  Nice work on both the anvil and the hooks.  Doing the same step on each of a series of items is the best way to keep them identical until you have made so many that you can hardly make them different because the process is so ingrained in your brain and muscles.

"Byhammer and hand all arts do stand."

The horn is just the end of the tine ( the thin end) that I cut to a taper, ground sorta round, and welded on. It's really thin so it's not something your going to hit hard however it works for bending hooks. I'm skeptical of how long my welds will hold it. I just filled a bucket with sakcrete and stuck the tine down in it to make a base. I doubt it will last long but I'll remount it in wood when the concrete breaks. I need to use it some more to see if there are some changes to make. It seems a little awkward right now but maybe I'll get used to it. I have another tine so I could make another one version 2.0 if I come up with some changes. 

Really nice!  That's dedication!  The one thing you said tho about the burners...you should be able to run just one if you wanted. Save on propane. I would think one getting that hot has something to do with how it set up. 

The heat going up the burner that is turned off is called the chimney effect. Just pull the burner not turned on and plug up the mounting tube with a piece of soft fire brick trimmed to fit in it.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus