I Forge Iron

Sources for DIY press parts

LeeSteele

Hey all,

Can you guys suggest some sources where a person might scrounge parts for a DIY forge press? Specifically at the moment I am looking for a large bore (6" or more I think) hydraulic cylinder. Though if the cylinder is rated for it I do have 2500 max PSI electric pump unit, which might allow me to get away with a smaller cylinder.

Good Morning, Les

Keep your ears and eyes to the ground. When you are trying to build a Press, with a Budget, something has to give. Time; will allow you to 'See' what you will need. Don't look at the clock or the Calendar!!

This weekend is NWBA Swaptoberfest in Longview, BEE THERE!!!

Neil

That'll only give you about 35 tons of force on your dies, divide that by the number of square inches will give you how much press force you'll have. Also bear in mind ram speed, your pump will have to move 35 cu/in of fluid for every inch the ram moves. 

There is quite a bit to making a hydraulic anything, forging presses are no different.

Frosty The Lucky.

@swedefiddle: I believe I found the page for this weekends swap meet. It appears to be a much larger event than just a swap meet though! Is being a member of the forum enough to be admitted? or do you need to sign up and pay membership dues as well.

A quick google search brought up the event. This should answer your question. We are not supposed to put live links to events, looks to me the swap meet is free to the public.

Online Registration has closed but you can still sign up in person at the Swaptoberfest Registration Table! Conference Registration is $60 per NWBA Member. Swapmeet Area is Open to the Public!

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus