I Forge Iron

“Chasing Tool Analysis: Function and Form” article

JHCC

Ran across a rather good article by metalworker Charles Lewton-Brain discussing the various tools of chasing and repoussé, including comparison of tools from a number of different artists and different traditions around the world. Good stuff.

”This paper describes and names the types of chasing and repoussé tools. They have been used historically and across different cultures and times to create complex patterned and figurative surfaces on sheet and solid-metal objects. We will address tool purposes and procedural approaches and results. There is a little review of basic hardening and tempering for making a chasing tool. The paper touches on how to identify the shape of a tool from marks on the chased metalwork, allowing the discovery of tool forms and types from historical work.”

Chasing Tool Analysis: Function and Form

Thank you John, this looks to be another very interesting reference work. My copy of Steines' Moving Metal finally arrived but is in queue behind Quigley's lengthy Tragedy and Hope, so it will probably be a while before I get to it... I think this paper looks to be an excellent companion to Moving Metal and noted that it references Corwin's Chasing and Repoussé Methods Ancient and Modern which also looks to be of interest. Too many interesting reference materials!! Time is the issue though...

--Larry

Charles Lewton Brain's fold forming book? Back before the artmetal list self destructed by allowing politics, Charles was a regular poster. I think he was just getting into fold forming. What I remember about him was when he got into something he GOT INTO it. 

Brilliant guy, way above my level.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi John, I'm guessing that is another one from Brynmorgen Press? Or that Tim McCreight has something to do with it. Between what I can see as current offerings and other, older offerings (from bookfinder.com) Tim McCreight has been involved with a good many books of interest to metalsmiths. You have been finding lots of interesting things following you home!!

--Larry