I Forge Iron

Shop location ideas

Mark630

I’m wondering if anyone has rented a shop space and has recommendations on where would be a good place to look. Looking for a small forge friendly place with electricity. I mean a cement box with 240v would be fine. I moved from a house into an apartment and I need to find a workshop space in the Chicagoland (40 miles outside) area. Any experience in this area would be greatly appreciated 

Mark, whwn I was first starting out in the craft and didn't own my own house I rented several locstions.  One was a garage on a property where a mobile home had been removed.  Another was a garage/storage unit.  

If I was in that situation again I would look for a storage unit that had electricity.  I doubt that you will find one with 240v service, 110v, maybe, but 240 would only come with a unit that was intended for some sort of light industrial use.

There are locations which rent to "makers" or other small businesses such as cabinet makers.  I would check with the local Chamber of Commerce or Economic Development Office.  If that didn't work I'd use a modified Thomas Powers Anvil Acquisition Technique which basically asking every breathing human you encounter if they know of any place you could rent for a shop.

BTW, you are NOt a "blacksmith."  You are a "hobby metal worker." "Blacksmith" will turn potential landlords off with stereotypes of fire, noise, and smells.

Good luck.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Ditto George, especially NOT calling yourself a "blacksmith" when looking for a rental. Pay attention to ventilation, you don't want to have a closed chamber. Good security is a biggy for me, I have too many valuable smithing tools and equipment to lose.

Frosty The Lucky.

Some further thoughts:  I'd talk to some real estate agents possible available garages.  There may be some unused garages, etc. available but they may be too large for your needs, particularly when it comes to heating.  There might also be something available via the local Senior Center.  There may be some folk who are no longer driving and would rather have a couple hundred dollars/month for rent.

Make sure you get a lease, probably for 12, 18, or 24 months.  If you are on a month to month rental agreement you run the risk of having the shop set up and then being told to leave on short notice.  Also, be aware of the presence or absence of an automatic renewal provision in any lease.

Make sure that you invest in a carbon monoxide detector and pay attention to it. If it goes off get out NOW.  Do NOT wait until you finish the weld or complete something else.

A 5 or 10 pound dry chemical fire extiguisher is always a good addition to any shop.  And place it where it is easily accessible.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yeah, easily accessible on the way OUT of the shop! You do NOT want extinguishers close to what might catch fire or you may end up standing there looking at it through flames until you're driven out. Mounted by the exit gets you moving in the right direction and you can stop look and decide if you have a chance of stopping the fire BEFORE getting close to it.

Dry Chemical or CO2 are excellent, water not so much and HALON NEVER! Halon works by binding the oxy in the air so it can NOT burn which kills a fire almost no matter what's burning. Unfortunately it does the same in your bloodstream bonding with the oxy and you go down in seconds, die in minutes unless they can get you into a hyperbaric chamber quickly. It's the same way Freon has killed so many on ice rinks till it was replaced. If the EMTs can get oxygen on you and keep you breathing long enough to get you to the hospital you might be alright. 

Halon only has ONE place in fire suppression and that's inside electronic cabinets, rooms, etc. where humans aren't likely to be. Just be aware, there for a while they were sold over the counter as the latest greatest fire extinguisher for the home. They were frequently featured on the old TV show "The 21st. Century."

Frosty The Lucky.