I Forge Iron

Smalls Projects for Sale

Actually a good ole traditional hot oil finish works best. 50-50 turps and linseed oil with a little beeswax added. For a quart of each I add an egg sized piece of beeswax. Apply it at a black heat where the mix smokes. It will soak into the iron and be a very pretty and fairly durable finish. If you just use beeswax alone, apply it the same way at a black heat. Beeswax does a few cool things. It transfers your body temp to the iron and creates the subtle feel of warm iron instead of the common belief that iron is cold. And it smells good!  I usually rub a carnuba based funiture/car polish/wax in as a final coat. 

Do you guys wipe off the excess or not? The other thing I could be messing up on is not taking the scale off, but I wld think there would be very much if any in the middle of a fire poker and that’s where I get the most rust. 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Olive oil polymerizes easily, even olive oil Pam works well. 

In my food safe coating I used carnauba wax, bees wax, and walnut oil. Walnut oil also polymerizes like Raw linseed oil, but a little slower and makes the paste wax softer. (Add a solvent if you want it thinner without a long cure time.) Carnauba wax is a hard finish that can be highly polished. I used the beeswax to make is a little “softer” but it won’t get the high polish finish, if that’s what you’re wanting.

Keep it fun,

David

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2023 at 1:16 AM, Shainarue said:

I think y'all are on to something with the veggie toppers. I could see them on skewers used for kabobs for sure. Gonna have to jot that down in my notebook. 

That would be very handy for people having a BBQ get-together to distinguish between vegetarian and carnivorous options if there will be vegetarians at the gathering.

I'm at least adding that to my ever-growing to-do list.

Most of the things I'd suggest have already been mentioned but you could also make carving forks, ice cream scoops, long handled teaspoons for serving the sides, corn cob holders, and one thing I haven't designed yet but would like to have is some kind of device to lift the grate on my grill for when I need to adjust the coals.

If you have access and interest in leatherwork, a big wide leather belt with loops or hooks for standard grilling tools and a can holder might be a good seller too, or you could incorporate that with a leather apron too.

If it were me I'd go with a theme. BBQ tools all made from RR spikes. Find a source for those and get down every blacksmiths twist you can for the handles. I would BLO all BUT the parts that contact food, for that just a super light coat of olive oil or the like.

I would also get a bunch of corks like from an antique shop and cork all the pointy ends. (Meat turners, 2 pronged forks)  figure out a price per and offer 3 for a bit less. Since they'd all be RR spikes the customer could mix and match whatever 3 tools they wanted.

For Meat turners they're left or right handed depending on the way the hook points so you'd have to label them. Id also put a print out of care instructions for the tools. Hand wash only, hand dry and coat with food safe oil. Other than that I have a business card holder I made from a RR spike awhile ago that would also fit the theme I'll take a pic later. If there's still space you can't go wrong with plain old S hooks. Oh and a hole with a leather strap at the end is a nice touch too.