I Forge Iron

First post vice, just a few questions.

FrontierBoundPrivateer

Hello, I'm new here. I just picked up my first post vice at the 127 garage sales. It looks to be in pretty good shape. Some rust but the center screw is still nice and greased up. I noticed it was missing the spring, and the seller was trying to say you just open it with your hands... I may be a novice but I know better than that. But I was able to get him to come down to $100. 

My fist question is what should I use to make a new spring? I have plenty of leaf spring, and mild steel. I've read that both will work, coil spring too. I can watch some vids on how to go about forging it up, just curious about the material.  And my second question is regarding who made it. I have only found one marking on it, a near worn down "50". It's 4 1/2 in.  I'll add some pictures if anyone has any idea. Thanks you guys!20230805_151523.thumb.jpg.4cd03e32fa955c758ac00d1e6ed2ffca.jpg20230805_151442.thumb.jpg.2e49428af8b9ceaacb3873325c331de0.jpg20230805_151407.thumb.jpg.19f5118cba6d1ade14a0557ac8efbd86.jpg20230805_151347.thumb.jpg.87dc3ccf23c5b70aba4c310404c9fa1e.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. As long as the threads in the screw box are good it's good to go. The "50" is the weight and a coating of BLO will keep it looking good for a long time. As far as the spring mild steel will do. When I make them, I try and find some stock that is close to the width I need to save a lot of work forging it down. That way the only forging needed is to make the ends and put in the curve. The last one I made was out of a piece of wrought iron. Unless they are just not in the picture, you will need to make a couple of wedges to hold the mounting bracket.

100_1904-1.thumb.jpg.0b9993010f5e03ede05cd9b3efb01180.jpg

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you pit your general location in your profile we will bea ble to give better answers to your questions.  A surprising number of answers vary depending ob geography.  And there is always the possibility of in person visits to and from other shops.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Kansas, Tasmania, opr Lapland.

I agree with everything Irondragon has said.  If possible, mount the vise away from wall or other obstructions so that there is minimal interference whith long pieces held in the vise and when making twists.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Nice! Thank you!  And nope, it had no wedges. Now I don't know about those. When I had it all together the mount sorta wedged right below the jaws and seemed like it would just hang. I'll look at some more pics. Good looking out!

1 hour ago, George N. M. said:

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you pit your general location in your profile we will bea ble to give better answers to your questions.  A surprising number of answers vary depending ob geography.  And there is always the possibility of in person visits to and from other shops.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Kansas, Tasmania, opr Lapland.

I agree with everything Irondragon has said.  If possible, mount the vise away from wall or other obstructions so that there is minimal interference whith long pieces held in the vise and when making twists.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Will do, I thought I put ohio lol. I'll check it out. 

Ah, I see it now. Right on. Makes sense. I'm gonna be cleaning it up tomorrow and looking to move some stuff in my hut and start planning a mount for it. Wire wheel it, coat it with linseed oil.  I'm probably gonna use a chunk of telephone pole I have for now as the base. I want somthing secure, but not permanent. Might use 4x4s and put feet(a square with lag bolts) around the bottem of the pole. I did that with my anvil and it hasn't moved in 3 years. But yea, the vice will have to me moved when I get into my new home here in a few years. Thanks again for he help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again! Just wanted to do a quick final update. Everything came out great! Got it mounted, the spring forged and a decent wedge in place. Opens nice and smooth, and ready for years more of work. Thank you guys for the all help! One day I may reforge a second spring, cause mine has funny looking ears, but it does its purpose lol! If I remember I'll take some pics and post em too. Take care!