I Forge Iron

Adam's Sharps

Adam H.

Hello all,

I have a few projects I would like to share, so I figure I would just make a thread for all of them instead of posting multiples. Most of what I make is simple stock removal projects, made from oven-softened files or saw blades gifted to me by friends. I also re-work the occasional old knife into something new (after doing my best to confirm it isn't a valuable antique!). 

2f31382f85285beb311ec2c7842c09f1.png

3d24f29bcee07c755eb027c28eeed8c9.png

^First up, a file knife. Olivewood, copper, and buffalo horn from a dog chew. Full flat grind blade, just over 3" long, about 7 and 3/8" total. 

c2fd3e0216a4ae1912ee0060a4175d12.png

4797e46ecd4f1d228fa96eb8625dcd1e.png

^This tiny knife was based on this knife found in a glacier melt in Norway. The original used birch for the handle, while I again used olivewood. No sheath was found, so I made one like you would for a puukko, with a carved wood core wrapped in veg tan leather. I thought it ended up looking like an acorn, so I tooled oak leaves and acorns into the leather using a bamboo bbq skewer. The blade is made of a piece of saw blade gifted to me by a friend, and matches the original in size, save for thickness, being only .090" thick.

https://i.imgur.com/5HRa6Zn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OOFtrY4.jpg 

^The scabbard build and handle-re-wrap I did for my Hanwei/Tinker Pierce Norman sword. The scabbard has a poplar core, lined with natural linen and wrapped in veg-tanned sheep or goat skin (I forgot which). I tried to keep it as period correct as I could, even referring to the archaeological find for the stitching on the back. I didn't include a chape, as those were pretty rare for the time of the Norman Conquest, and I was trying to create the look of a more "common" sword.

5534d384e1f042b43af9c04e3fabad1d.png

5f950e7cb83cb76d3b74e5425c2dfb26.png

A before and after of an old butcher's knife I converted into a mid-19th Century bowie knife. The darker wood (which I was unable to identify, but has a dark dark red color when you cut into it) is part of the original handle. The lighter wood is black walnut from a branch a storm knocked out of a tree in my parent's backyard. Kept as much of the weathering on the blade as I possibly could; I didn't want it to look new, even though it was made into something new. Mild steel guard, and red brass plaques with my initials inset into the handle. 8 and 5/8" blade, just shy of 13" overall. Balance point is about 1.5" below the guard. I wish it had more, as this blade is on the thinner side, about .135" on the spine. Still, she's razor sharp and very fast in the hand. Would be right at home in the old West, or even the US Civil War. I plan on making a sheath soon!

More to come!

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Those are some very good looking knives and sword. I started making knives years ago by stock removal, mostly fishing filet knives and NW Hudson Bay trade knives. Never tried reproducing more ancient knives. I was doing hobby blacksmithing and started forging out knife blanks and never looked back. Something about hammering hot steel into the shape of the knife you want is magic to me.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.