I Forge Iron

New here

First time black smithing, still a child (17)  and have very cheap healthcare where I live. Something about shaping hot steel really calls out to me more than any other activity. Made the entire setup at home so it's not that good but it gets the job done for the most part. Really excited to see how this pans out. For now I'm using a janky setup but I want to improve it over time. Really excited to become a member of thi community. 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you, if I haven't said it already. 17 is hardly a child where I live but maybe it's different different on you're corner of the globe. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up  with members within living distance. Also many questions have a strong location component. 

It almost sounds like you're asking folks opinions about your setup but you aren't posting pics so that's out the air lock. We have a saying here, if we can't see it it didn't happen or exist. How about a look see, Hmmm? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

We have a number of folk here who are around your age as well as ones up into their 80s.

If you put your general location in your profile it will improve your experience, lots of questions have geography related answers and if you are somewhere where you can hook up with a more experienced member(s) you will learn faster and have more fun.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Tasmania, Lapland, or Kansas.

None of us would disagree about the attraction of hitting hot metal.  That's what we do, some of us for the last 40-50 years (but are still learning).  I have gotten a lot out of the craft for the last 45 years.  It has helped me through the tough times and has made the good times better.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Good Morning,

Welcome to our world. Just because somebody thinks it can't be done, doesn't mean you can't do it. Do not believe 'You are thinking outside of the Box'. Who built the Box??? The world is full of 'Beginners Luck'. Don't be afraid of trying something new, the worst thing you may learn, you may learn of a way to do something that may need some further modifications.

Some of my early creations are still some fine creations.

Follow your head and heart, work safe!!

Neil