I Forge Iron

Dead Blow hammers

George N. M.

I have used plastic dead blow hammers for years and found them useful.  However, I was just browsing the McMaster-Carr catalog and see that they have a steel faced and ball dead blow ball peen hammer (24 & 32 oz. heads) and am wondering if anyone has ever used something like this for forging and, if so, how did it work out?  You wouldn't get much rebound but, ideally, the hot metal is supposed to absorb all the energy.  They are kind of pricey, the 2# one is $71 and I don't care to invest that kind of money just out of curiosity.

Thanks.

George

A 140# dead blow hammer would work a treat for closed die forging though heavier would be better. 

It's funny, I have two 140lb safety hammers we used for driving the sampler and a 340lb safety hammer we drove penetrometer rod and casing with until everything went to automatic hammers. I've never gotten around to rigging up a way to use the things, I don't want ANYBODY operating a cat head in my shop. One mistake can lead to nightmarish injuries.

Frosty The Lucky.