I Forge Iron

buttering ceramic fiber and satanite

Hi all, have been lurking for some time now, (as my name suggests).

Finally broke down and bought a single burner forge off Amazon.

It didn't come with rigidizer, so I Used fumed silica and water.

While I have read many of your post about buttering or spraying water before applying satanite. I don't know if i used enough water. Was I suppossed to use a lot of water, like I did rigidizer. Where it was soaked? or just a misting so the satanite would stick? When I was applying, the satanite seemed to come off the ceramic blanket. (i read some where if there is too much water in the blanket , the refractory will blow it self off the fiber)

While I intend to do a double coating of satanite and then finish off with itc 296a (on sale), I don't want to fire it up only to have a bunch fall off and don't want to waste more satanite if I should start over. Think I should fire it up with the coating I have now and see, then apply my second coating, or would that cure the coating and the satanite won't stick to the current one that is on there? Meassurement of satanite was 1lbs weighed, to 130 ml water.

Second question, will itc 296a stick to satanite?

kind regards Shadow. (And yes this is my gaming name)

Welcome aboard Shadow, glad to have you, I believe we have a couple Shadows of various types aboard already but that's okay, I'm sure if there's conflict you folk will work it out. No big deal.

Nah, no good reason to soak the blanket when applying the hard refractory, giving it a good spritzing should be fine. Is it too late to use something, other than Satanite? If you check the HWI website there's a blog where satanite is discussed. HWI states point blank and PERIOD that satanite is a mortar and un-suited as a flame face refractory then goes on to say it has a short expected service life in contact with propane flame. 

Mix the refractory a LITTLE thinner than recommended for the first coat. This will let it dissolve more readily on contact with the buttered blanket providing a better bond. When applying a water setting hard refractory do it in multiple THIN layers rather than one or two thick (say 1/4" too thick) layers. let it dry completely before applying the next. Sure it takes a lot longer but it will produce a much more durable hard liner.

I don't know anything about ITC296a, what does the product data sheet say? I've changed my opinion of ITC-100 in the last year and now recommend it as a high quality kiln wash for propane forges.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frotsy for the welcome.
Alas, I was out yesterday, and didn't check this post till i got home.

The satanite has dried. In your experience, can i chip it off and put on the correct refractory, or should I put the proper stuff on top for a couple of layers?

itc 296a, is supossed to be a top coat ceramic refractory, for high effiency.

Thanks shadow

Not to worry, you're not on a time clock. Naw, use it with the satanite till it erodes and replace it with a better refractory then. No point in ripping the liner out because there's something better. Putting a layer of something on top might be okay but it's an experiment so who knows. The ITC will prevent direct flame contact to the satanite and serve the same purpose. 

An ancient blacksmith secret is, you'll want a different propane forge in short order. I've been making and using them for going on 40 years and every time I build one I start "planning" the changes and improvements on my next forge as soon as I start using it. I also have 3-4 old forges collecting dust around the shop. 

ITC has made a lot of changes and improvements since the last time I used it so my past experiences are antique. The new stuff does what they claim and maybe better.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Neil.

4 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning, Shadow,

I have lots of contacts for people near you. Send me a pm. What area of Vancouver are you near. I will be at Mission Raceway, next weekend. I will probably bring a Forging set-up for the evening play.

Thanks, Neil

I live in vancouver near queen elizabeth park.

The wife loves Victoria. except the ferry ride can kinda suck when it's not running.

Good Morning,

For us, the ferry is part of 'Life'. If we want to go somewhere and do something different, we have to leave the 'Rock'. It is just different for you because you are used to jumping in your vehicle and going somewhere, anytime!! We can't do anytime!! Think of the Ferry as a 'Cruise', it is never the same, something different to look at every time.

I am involved with the Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association for over 30 years. Once a year we teach a Blacksmith Course, 8 Saturdays, 8:30am to 5:00pm. We have had a number of people from your side, take the course.  CanIRON started with our group in 1995. This year it is in Fergus, Ontario, August 3-6. I will fly out for this one. I have been involved with the organization of 3 different CanIRON events. It is on it's 3rd journey across Canada. Probably back in BC in either 4 or 6 years. The last CanIRON we did in BC (2017) was at Kwantlen in Cloverdale. If you are ever stuck for an answer, Gerard is the Head Farrier Instructor and he is extremely open. For quite a while, he was opening up their Shop, to anyone interested in Blacksmithing. One night a week.

Dan is the Blacksmith at Fort Langley, he lives in Langley, close to the border. He also has a Blacksmith Shop at his home. Dan was a member of our organization for quite a while. He and his 2 sons would come over.

My knowledge of greater Vancouver will not be as good as yours. I think Queen Elizabeth Park is near downtown. I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived near there.

Are you starting your journey, in the Blacksmith World? Which Forge did you buy? (it doesn't really matter, they are all similar). Most everything you will need or want, you can make.

Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association has their own Blacksmith Shop at Luxton Fairgrounds, 15km from downtown Victoria. If you ever want to try something or try out something, just ask. Our Blacksmith Shop is open for members on Monday and Wednesday evenings. We also have a mobile Blacksmith Shop that we do Demonstrations at different Fairs/Events to generate the funds to keep our Shop open. Our monthly meetings are on the last Sunday of the month, at Luxton Fairgerounds.

I just got back, yesterday, from the North West Blacksmith Association, Spring Conference. It was in Longview Washington. NWBA members cover BC, Alberta, Washington, some of Idaho, Oregon and Northern California. Their web-site is www.blacksmith.org  There are members that live close to the border, as well. They have a monthly get together at their home Blacksmith Shop at the fairgrounds in Longview, near the end of each month.

Ciao fur now, Neil Gustafson