I Forge Iron

Striker 88 (40kg air hammer)

I have had a long standing issue with my striker 40 kg hammer, the issue been that when hot the it losses control, kind of hit and skip a beat very irritating. The hammer does seem to get very hot on some occasions only when hot the ram sticks up in the cylinder, only a very light tap required to allow it to drop down again. I have tried just about every oil grade for the hammer and no real difference in the running. Oils tried iso 32 hydraulic oil, 50 weight oil and iso 220 as the owners manual recommends.

I have decided to remove the front cylinder cap check the ring gaps with a feeler gauge to see if the gap is too tight and is expanding and nipping the cylinder bore, any recommendations for ring gap would be helpful. 
the hammer came with a full set of rings so I intend to install the new ram rings and hone the cylinder bore to seat the new rings. 
Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated I have an appropriate sized bore honing tool.

will also be stripping cleaning and inspecting the stuffing box while the ram is out

Has anyone done a similar job on an air hammer?

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many forum members live within visiting distance. Sounds like a spool valve issue to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

No need to apologize it's really common to forget this is a world wide forum and how regional some questions and answers are. Have you contacted Striker?

Frosty The Lucky.

I never thought of contacting striker as I believe they went out of business but worth looking into this, I’ll see what I can find out

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello DC,  I, too, have a  Striker 88 - Striker has been out of business for maybe 15 years.  The webite referenced above by TBinKC has the best coverage of all the details of setting-up and running these hammers.  Like yours, my hammer goes BAM, bam, BAM, bam, BAM when it gets overheated - don't know of any corrections other than take a long break.

Heavy oil feed will lead to oil dripping onto the bottom die...ignoring the oil leads to oil droplets being splattered in all directions - I try to keep the excess oil mopped up between heats - also I check that an air bubble has not formed in the oil line going to the rear cylinder (I need a new check valve).  Use a 220 VG (viscosity grade) turbine-quality oil (I use Mobil DTE BB)...do not use recycled crankcase oil from the hammer sump - it will have very small wear metal particles in suspension.

PM me  with quetions/comments/industrial humor/guidance for a happy life/etc, but nothing to do with politics.

Best regards from the colonies. Swedge

DSC00281.JPG