I Forge Iron

Grinding room

jason0012

Perhaps this belongs in the “building a shop area” but it is knife related so I am putting it here and prepared for scolding later… Any of us that do much grinding have fought the dust thrown everywhere. Abrasive tools in my shop are pretty numerous and this work is dirty by its very nature. I have accumulated more than a few abrasive belt and disc machines, and am rather impressed by the idea of getting them all in the same location, and isolating the dust from everything else. I have a fairly large space to work with, and my shop had a dust collection system in place when I bought it. Thinking these arrangements looked overly expensive I had not considered it until I realized that I already have everything. I have an unused room (previous owner did painting in it) that is 7x14. The dust collector is just on the other side of the wall. I am trying to get 3 2x72 grinders and 2 12” disc sanders as well as a 12” buffer. I am not sure if this is enough space. I am currently hunting through various articles for suggestions on what should be included. Upgrading the two fluorescent fixtures to six LEDs is certainly on the list, and I already have it air conditioned and heated.

Having a "dirty" room to do grinding is probably a good idea just as a "clean" room for things that can be hurt by contamination is wise.  Wearing "dirty room" coveralls besides PPE when working in that area may be a good thing.

I have a question regarding multiple belt grinders:  Why?  Is it to have each machine dedicated to a particular grit or function so that you don't have to change belts of attachments for different tasks?  That seems to me an expensive way to avoid the time taken up by swapping out belts and attachments.  But, in the time is money equation maybe that reduction in time per blade is worth it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."