I Forge Iron

Age, Serial number, Value

Hi everybody,

I am seeking help to try to find the age and value of this Trenton Anvil.  I have attached pictures and it's in pretty good shape as you can see. 

I am trying to figure out the serial number?  It looks like AF 3847

The Logo is stamped in.  TRENTON

Weight is - 87 pounds

Measurements are

Base Length = 23 inches
Depth = 7 1/8 inches
Width = 3 inches
Height = 9 inches

Mouse Holes Front and Back

Has good ting on the work surface

I love to know the history and interested in thoughts on this anvil? I may consider selling.  

Thank you!! 

Anvil1.jpg.4b6793c9e86bbce74837f36fdafb4eea.jpg

Anvil2.jpg.4d791d331d21683bc2913631ee1a9fa0.jpg

Anvil3.jpeg.3ebbe7701e3d64cdeed6df08aab5bfe9.jpeg

Anvil4.jpeg.f495a1a6522ca5e085529a80d8531eb7.jpeg

Anvil5.jpeg.ddee0f682aa3178cd873c3656c5b86ad.jpeg

Anvil6.jpeg.e32ac5efe64423107c313b4a34bd3503.jpeg

Howdy. Do you plan on blacksmithing and participating on the forum or are you just using us as a pricing service? I'm mostly just wondering, I'm sure folks will be along with info or wild guesses before long. I don't have a copy of Anvils in America so the ser.# tells me nothing. Sorry.

Trenton is a top shelf anvil. 

"Ting / Ring is  meaningless, rebound is how you determine the face's quality. A light smooth faced hammer can be used to judge rebound but it takes a lot more experience to do a good evaluation. Dropping a bearing ball from abut 10" and judging how high it bounces as a percentage is much more accurate.

When you say it weighs 87lbs. did you weigh it or are you assuming the number stamped on the foot is the weight? Stamped weights are usually close estimates made at the factory. Modern makers actually weigh their products.

All the measurements you list don't mean a lot, not really though there are folks out there who think they do so no harm no foul.

Rebound, maker, weight and condition are the 4 main factors for evaluating an anvil. Maker and condition can be evaluated by eye but rebound and weight are best measured, via test and scale.

All your pictures seem to be to show off the maker's name without a lot of attention to the condition. It can be viewed, lots of folk post much worse pics, you did okay. A couple pics of the other side would be nice so folk can get a look at the other edge.

All in all it looks to be in good condition, I can not see damage that would reduce it's value, I'd put it right to work if it had good rebound. 87lbs is on the light side but an excellent traveling size. You can do excellent work on it but should avoid heavy work, strikers with sledges would risk damage and wear on her. 

One last thing and maybe the most significant if you're looking to sell it is location. Where you sell it is everything, it would probably go for $300+ here in Alaska, we're blacksmith tool poor but in the mid west, say Oklahoma you'd be lucky to get $100 smithing tools are pretty common there if you're patient and look.

If you're looking to learn the craft stick around, we'll be more than happy to help you along.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard form 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I second everything Frosty and Irondragon said.  Your location is vital to any value estimate.  This is a world wide forum and we don't know if you are in Kansas, Lapland, or Tasmania.  It's a decent size if a bit light for heavy work and is in good condition.  My SWAG guess is that in the US it is probably worth $2-4.50/pound depending on the demand in your area.  The bounce test is the most important quality.  There are very good looking anvils that have been through a structure fire and have very poor rebound.

If someone with a copy of Anvils in America does not post more information re dates, etc. you can probably get a copy through Interlibrary loan at you local public or university library.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I am seeing A 13847.  If that is correct, AIA puts it manufacturing year as 1900.

Value is dependent on location, condition, brand, and whether you are looking to buy or sell.  There is no set price/pound for these.  A lot also depends on how much a buyer wants it, and how bad a seller want to move it along.  

I get this question all the time in regard to Fisher anvils, and it is the one question I will never answer.