I Forge Iron

Jer Schmidt's 2x72 belt grinder build

victorforge

I've begun the process of building my first 2x72 belt grinder using Jer Schmidt's plans. I purchased his gen 1 plan a few years ago but never got around to building them. Schmidt's plans are fantastic. I had some of the parts water cut at the cost of an anvil. (I actually made out with this trade) Took advantage of a presidents day 20% coupon at the Horrible freight and bought their 2hp motor for it. I still have to buy all the fasteners, wheels, and belts. I got spring break coming up so hoping to knock it out that week.

IMG_3653.jpeg

ODP (Open Drip Proof) means that the motor windings will be exposed to the metal dust generated from grinding operations.  This will likely reduce the lifespan of your motor considerably.  I know HF allows easy returns on some items if they fail, but don't know if that applies to motors. You might want to consider other alternatives, or try to work out a way to mount your motor in a filtered box.

I'll probably get a used/surplus TEFC 2hp from a nearby industrial surplus place in the future.

4 hours ago, gewoon ik said:

I mean angle grinder in my post above steve's (steves?).

But i agree. Longlivety ia not something you can aspect from it

That's a good point. My cheap angle grinder has exposed coils and has been through XXXX Yet its still chooching. I wonder if I could put a thin mesh filter over the openings. I'd have to watch the temperature though.

Thats more for pieces than dust.

Use the engine till it fries and look for a better sealed one

Don't put in in the direct path of the dust and debris. Also make sure the fan is not sucking in air from the same direct path. 

Keep us updated about the running hours of that engine.

1 hour ago, gewoon ik said:

Thats more for pieces than dust.

Use the engine till it fries and look for a better sealed one

Don't put in in the direct path of the dust and debris. Also make sure the fan is not sucking in air from the same direct path. 

Keep us updated about the running hours of that engine.

I'll attach an hour meter for scientific purposes.