I Forge Iron

clarification diagonal beams chevron i beams

clarification diagonal beams chevron i beams

hi, sorry for the bizarre and bizarre question, could some kind user with notions of engineering and physics kindly explain the chevron beams, in Italy I think they are the diagonals or the arrows or braces, I think they are used to strengthen the portals or the connection between the column and the crossbar to avoid that the angle closes, to reduce the light the span of the bridges am I right? are coupled by welded plates right? on wikipedia or other search engines I have not found any feedback, thanks and sorry for the bizarre and bizarre question, thanks again greetings.

Buildings 12 01656 g007:huh:

Buildings | Free Full-Text | A Technique for Optimizing the Sequences  Yielding under Load of Concentrically-Braced Steel Frames

Connection Performance of Buckling Restrained Braced Frames2-Figure1-1.png

7-Figure3-1.png7-Figure3-1.pngchevron_bot1.gif

Nothing bizarre about the question Angiolino. The diagonal members prevent the structure hinging at the corners and collapsing. If you built with just vertical posts and horizontals top and bottom, any lateral force will cause it to move, the connections acting as hinges. Add a diagonal (cross brace) and the structure can NOT deflect without crushing or tearing the diagonal. These are good experiments to model with "popsicle" sticks and tacks or an erector set.

It makes a simple square or box into a number of triangles and triangles are as strong a structure as can reasonably be made.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...

thank you, I don't build anything I try to learn as a self-taught, unfortunately I have not been able to study, returning to the question these are truss-type reticular structures, just self-supporting, the structural nodes would be hinged constraints which I believe prevent the structure from closing in their movement crossbar pillar am I wrong?

I make you laugh, I was buying the " Meccano" constructions for children to do home experiments but they tell me that maybe it's closing too bad I have to find the right kits with the right components. greetings.

41ELNFygB9L._AC_.jpg41dh1kaokpL._AC_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Angiolino,  it seems you are trying Jerry's advice.  Nothing to laugh at.  I wish I could advise you, but like I said, I'm learning right along with you.  Keep seeking the knowledge you are looking for.  You will find it.