I Forge Iron

Bone-Head Mistake

Been testing different things over the last year and finally have my forge configured the way I like it. Has a good running burner, decent floor, adjustable door bricks, and is comfortable to use for what I do. Ordered some 100HT to coat all the different removable pieces and redo the inside for max efficiency.

Feeling confident, I took my time getting any loose stuff off, blowing out all the dust, and mixing the wash to a fantastic consistency. Got the workshop to 70 degrees, coated everything with a thin consistent layer, and commenced operation clean-up…

Then it hits me. I didn’t dampen anything before I applied the coating. I feel like Barney Fife right now. :wacko:

image.jpg

Hey, I identify with Barney! The trick is to carry a gun that only needs ONE bullet to do the job. ;)

I would've recommended something other than ITC-100 as your kiln wash. Assuming that's the product you mean when you say 100HT.

I don't recall seeing you post for a while, what you been up to?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Hey, I identify with Barney! The trick is to carry a gun that only needs ONE bullet to do the job. ;)

I would've recommended something other than ITC-100 as your kiln wash. Assuming that's the product you mean when you say 100HT.

I don't recall seeing you post for a while, what you been up to?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes sir, it’s ITC-100. The first time I used the Plistix that came with the forge and it didn’t hold up all that well. However , I think I put it on too thick. Frosty, what would you recommend?

Lol, as for my absence, my job has been consuming. I finally took a different role that has allowed some normality back in life and time for things other than chasing dollars… 

Ayup, too thick did it. Mix it the consistency of thick-ish latex paint, butter what you're applying it to and brush it on thin, coat of latex paint, thin. Let it dry thoroughly between coats and always butter before applying the next coat. An incandescent light bulb in the forge will speed drying just don't get carried away, 40w is probably plenty. 

Ah, the JOB. Mine always got in the way of what I'd planned on doing and it only took me about 20 years to stop planning things. Then I transferred, stopped living in a tent most of the time and after a while started making plans again:). Then I got married and now my plans are made for me.:rolleyes: That was a win win.

Frosty The Lucky.

You're welcome, it's my pleasure. Plistex is really tough effective stuff done right, it'll last quite a while.

No need to quote when you reply to someone, especially when it's the post above. If you're trying to pick someone out in a thread full of IFI yahoos a name works nicely. Quotes are usually for picking out a point from a long post you wish to address or a really old post, say something Bender squeeze harder showed last year. 

The mods will probably delete the above quote and drop you a note. It's no biggy, just part of the learning curve.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mikey, the forge is an Atlas. Had issues reaching welding temp so I built up the floor, created some door blocks with a smaller opening, then coated everything. Also replaced the stock burner with a good ol’ T-burner. It’s working quite well now.

8E6C76DF-A527-46B0-B656-90E39CD029D3.jpeg

F5571E43-3060-43A4-AB34-9F1EDF9CD285.jpeg