I Forge Iron

Another Not-So-New Member

Jeff Maurer

I've been pounding steel for several years at the local HS/adult school forge but just recently the wife decided to surprise me with a propane forge of my own that she bought somewhere online. So now I'm setting up my own shop (it was so much easier to just go and have most everything there and ready to go). In trying to find out if anything the forge 'instructions' said were accurate, I ended up here. Already found more info than I ever expected (almost too much). For a data junkie like me, I've been reading like crazy. Thanks to everyone who has posted here...it really helps others looking for help. I did find out that the 'instructions' were (as expected) a complete work of fiction. The biggest lie was that I didn't need to do ANYTHING to prep the ceramic blanket ("Lined with 1" thick high density ceramic fiber blanket that no need pre-rigidized insulation coating to increase strength and efficiency of insulation, reduced fuel consumption and quick heating"). So I've already dodged a bullet there. Already contacted Glenn to get pricing for the actual stuff I need to make my forge safe to use. Anyways, welcome and I look forward to really getting things started.

Jeff, welcome aboard glad to have ya. 

The only thing i can say is you may want to put a general location in your header. Not your exact address unless you want a bunch of old guys coming over, BBQing everything but the cat, drinking all your adult beverages, and leaving the toilet seat up. Seriously though, a lot of questions will be location dependent like price of anvils or vices say. They can change dramatically from state to state not to mention our overseas friends. Also you may be surprised how many of us live close to you and most of us really like visitors or being visitors to the forge. 

Keep it safe and have fun. 

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Propane forges get metal hot for forging very easily but there are some things that you can do better on a solid fuel forge than a gasser and vice versa.  As you progress in the craft there is a good chance you will want both available.

I suggest that you find your local affiliate of the Artist Blacksmith Association of North America (I am assuming that you are in the US or Canada) and think very hard about joining it.  There is nothing like watching a live demo, talking to other smiths, and being instructed to help you along.  Many of us, myself included, have been largely self taught and it is not the best model for learning a craft.  When I started in 1978 I only had some library books and lots of my own mistakes to guide me.

I second the suggestion that you put your general location in your profile.  Right now we don't know if you are in Lapland or Tasmania.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Jeff, glad to have you. When reading like crazy I like to start in the middle of a line and read both directions. Out loud at gatherings. Starting in the center of the page and reading out in a spiral doesn't make your eyes hurt so much.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. If you read a lot of threads you will find they may go "off the rails"  some but will always come back to the subject at hand. You may find that if you ask 6 blacksmiths for an answer you may get 10 answers and all of them will work, just some better than others.