I Forge Iron

Types of kiln shelves

Latticino

Fairly easy to identify.  For typical pottery kiln shelves:

• Silicon Carbide shelves: Black/Grey, heavy weight, medium coarse "end grain" and surface
  • Corderite shelves:  light yellow/tan, relatively lighter weight, very smooth "end grain" and surface
  • High Alumina shelves: bright white, medium weight, medium coarse "end grain" and surface

Most will be corderite, as that is the budget alternative.

May want to amend that.  Looks like kiln shelves have changed a bit since my ceramics days 30+ years back.  Silicon Carbide are still the same, but what they are calling "high alumina" is apparently not always the older bright white I remember.  Now they look a lot like mullite/corderite, so much so that I doubt that it has the percentage alumina that I would recommend (the true high alumina shelves are still out there, but buyer beware).   These days I don't trust suppliers and would prefer to cast my own 97% high alumina refractory bases using material like Greencast 97 for very good flux resistance.

Casting your own floors can be done to gain various advantages. However, it forgoes the three days long high temperature firings supposedly done with commercial kiln furniture; perhaps there might be a big loss there? Love to find out I'm wrong about this, being a tinkerer :)