I Forge Iron

Hey everybody! Finished up my beginner workshop and ready to start.

PCRDNADave

I’ve been a picker for over 20 years, buying and selling many anvils, forges, blowers, and tools of all types over the years. Also grew up watching Roy Underhill and the woodwright shop, which is why I operate the way I do today.  
so I figured it’s time to take some of the things I’ve accumulated and put them to work.   
I tried a little champion coal forge but didn’t like spending more time on the fire than the project.  Now I’ve built a workbench and purchased a volcano gas forge which I haven’t built yet.    Looking forward to a good looking hook project 

here’s my modest setup.  (I need to get that post drill mounted and find a head for it)

6BAE73E4-FBA4-47E2-82D7-AD180C7EB72B.jpeg

30B47053-AFD2-4BEE-82F7-38A6E3B47CBE.jpeg

04632FD5-6D10-4B99-8428-190EB9C98567.jpeg

2E993E48-AF2F-4F8D-99EE-522C99D4945F.jpeg

3A990021-83EB-4585-B131-430A5530B4BD.jpeg

CC5F15BB-9197-4A9C-AFEF-05400E3A6334.jpeg

Fire management is a skill in and of its self. Tho rivet forges are not ideal they are workable. Soft coal isn’t bad once you creat coke, or cheat and start with charcoal so as to start coking the coal. Hard coal with out a mechanically drivin blower or bellows will drive you crazy trying to keep it lit. As to charcoal, it will just eat threw it like crazy unless you use adobe to forn a trench. 
gassers are in some ways easier, but can be both ineffetent  and under powers if not designed right. 
will until you learn to tame it, coal will burn steel. 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:50 AM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Howdy from eastern Oklahoma and welcome to the forum!  you have some nice tools.  what kinda of fuel were you using that give you trouble in your coal forge?

It was weathered hard coal but the hand cranking and moving hot spot was tough to start with.  

This was my first fire with the champion.