I Forge Iron

Kathy Clark

I live just east of Kansas City, MO.  I have inherited many years of my Brothers blacksmithing tools.  I am looking for an appraiser so I know what I am looking at.  A lot of it I know but not all.  Many tongs, forge, trip hammer, swage blocks, several anvils, shears, large clamps,  too many items to list.  My Brother lived in Nebraska and belonged to the BAM.  Does anyone know of an appraiser or someone I could contact to expand my knowledge on some of these tools I have?  

Welcome aboard Kathy, I sure wish you joined us under happier circumstances. If you put your general location in the header the person you're looking for might be a member but only telling us in one post they aren't likely to notice. Putting it in the header puts your location on every post. 

Have you contacted the chapter of BAM he belonged to? Were they on good terms? 

I'm sure someone will have better suggestions than I and will be along shortly.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, Kathy, from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.  Sorry for your loss.

If you post photos of your late brother's tools we can probably give you a decent idea of fair market value.  A lot depends on condition.  For example, and anvil can vary in value from 20cents/pound scrap value up to $5-6/pound for near new condition.  Like anything else, value is dependent on what the seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to give. 

This is really a wild guess but from your description and assuming everything is in decent shape I would hazard a guess of $5-10k but that could be drastically high or low depending on factors I don't know.

Good luck. 

Kathy, posting a few pictures here can get you a quick price range, and point out if there is anything that might be special (I.e. standard $75 leg vise vs. $500+ Fisher double vise). Otherwise the local BAM chapter will have a better handle on local values, and might be able to assist with selling.  Assuming these tools are still in Nebraska just remember there is probably a significant amount of weight and time involved if you decide to move them first.   

Feel free to PM me if interested in a FaceTime assessment.  Full disclosure - I might be interested in purchasing a swage block, if tools are in MO.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. I'm pretty sure BAM has a Tailgating section. I would imagine the power (trip) hammer would not last very long on the site. If you can get a picture of it or at least a manufactures name and model number we could give you a ball park figure for it. That piece seems to be the most expensive one.

BTW: are you any relations with the Clark's in NW Arkansas. When we first moved here in '82, we were befriended by them and they made us feel right at home.