I Forge Iron

Metal working in Roman Britain

If you are interested in historic metal working (not just iron working) and have an hour and 9 minutes to devote to a rabbit hole here is a link to a talk by Dr. Owen Humphreys of the Museum of London on "Metals, Making, and Magic, The Smith in Roman Britain."

Some of the talk is technical and speaks of tools and techniques and some is sort of social history.  One interesting factoid is that when a Roman fort in Scotland was dismantled the nails were removed from the buildings and buried in a pit (IMO possibly for recovery later) when the pit was excavated by archaeologists the nails amounted to 7 tons!

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS It is supposed to be Metal Working, not etal working.  I got back too late to edit. Sorry.  Maybe the mods can correct it.

Also, Dr. Humphrey is the author of a new Museum of London book published in April.

51Flg2z0KxL._SX352_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51Flg2z0KxL._AC_SX60_CR,0,0,60,60_.jpg
515VZRpoWTL._AC_SX60_CR,0,0,60,60_.jpg

Like other MOL books, pricey at US$ 140 but I am seriously tempted.  Maybe if I am good Santa will deliver.

GNM