I Forge Iron

I followed it home....

It was here before me!  I had to do some digging in my yard next to the old ice house foundation and this thing came up with a load from the back hoe.  At first I thought it was stone as that is what usually gets dug up and I thought wow - a Viking relic!  But its cast iron and I can't imagine what it may have been for.  It is 14.5" tall and is two pieces I think, a flat back and the interesting hollow donut shape with an extension.  The two "ears' are for nuts and bolts to hold the two pieces together.  The central hole does not go through.  At first I thought maybe a end piece for a trailer tongue but have decided that is not it.  Anybody have any ideas?

100_0160.JPG

100_0161.JPG

100_0162.JPG

Thanks for the comments!  I had thought it might be some kind of burner but so far I see no evidence of holes in the donut body.  I believe it is hollow but that is just a guess at this point as there is still lots of dirt and rocks in the stem part.  I realize this probably has nothing to do with blacksmithing but thought it interesting and guess that other smiths are as curious about stuff like this as I am.  The ice house foundations are poured concrete but of course older.  The house was built in 1860.

• 2 weeks later...

So walking by the mostly filled in hole where the above came from, I decided to pick up the rocks that were on the surface to add to my rockpile.  One piece I picked up I at first thought was a chunk of brick but it was to heavy for that - it must be iron.  After a few minutes with the chipping hammer I ended up with this.  I believe it is made from wrought iron as some grain is visible where most of the corrosion flaked off.  I wonder what else is buried out there!

100_0169.JPG

100_0170.JPG

100_0168.JPG

That hammer head is a good candidate for electrolysis or dilute 30% max phosphoric acid soak to convert the rust back into iron. What has flaked off is gone but the rest will return in most amazing detail.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Gazz said:

I wonder what else is buried out there!

I would definitely take my metal detector out there and have a look & listen, one never knows what treasures are buried. I once found a couple hundred pounds of buggy springs and wrought iron fittings. Come to find out the building my friend bought, used to be a buggy shop that closed in the '30s and the owner threw everything into a pit and covered it up to make the property more appealing to a buyer.