I Forge Iron

1838 William Foster Anvil : Side hole and Impression

AROP

I recently purchased a broken William Foster Anvil. It looks like its from 183...8?

Question is :: I've seen hundreds of WF Anvil Pictures... I can't seem to find one with a side hole and angled indentation like mine.

The indentation looks like it would make it easy to attach a clamp to your work piece and the face.

ALSO : looks like an impression of a Battery... does that mean anything?

Any info on what I have appreciated.

IMG_20220510_223806.jpg

IMG_20220510_223901.jpg

IMG_20220510_223917.jpg

IMG_20220510_223929.jpg

IMG_20220510_223934.jpg

AROP- welcome. It looks to me as if the hole is just a defect in the wrought iron forging that popped loose during its lifetime. Those bases were typically forge welded up from scrap wrought iron so it wouldn't surprise me that there are random bad welds due to crud inclusions. Foster didn't come out with the battery powered anvils until much later.

Steve

I once discussed working on my broken WF, 1828, anvil with Richard Postman and he told me that WF anvils tended to be forged from very low grade Wrought Iron and If I wanted to try forge welding a new face on it I should first weld the HC face to a slab of wrought iron and then do a WI to WI weld to get it on the anvil.  Still on the project list though.   I suggested it as a Friday Night Demo for QS but I moved 1500 miles away before they did a refacing in the "old way".

On 5/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, Stash said:

AROP- welcome. It looks to me as if the hole is just a defect in the wrought iron forging that popped loose during its lifetime. Those bases were typically forge welded up from scrap wrought iron so it wouldn't surprise me that there are random bad welds due to crud inclusions. Foster didn't come out with the battery powered anvils until much later.

lol battery powered! thanks.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:50 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

From just the close ups, it's hard to tell what portion of the anvil we are looking at. Some of the pictures seem to be upside down or sideways. A couple of full view pictures and where you are located may help.

Sorry - your correct. It was late when I posted them off of quick cell phone pics.  I'll take some new ones.