I Forge Iron

Converting a hand pumped hydraulic press to electric

Aframe

So I scored a press at an estate sale today for $75. I have absolutely no idea of what I need in terms of a pump or motor to covert it to electric. Any help would be appreciated. I would be happy to get 20 tons out of it. If it’s possible.9E9DC18A-F9A8-41D5-A705-76AB52B5092F.thumb.jpeg.92d495c372ae4b7fb1f74b6673432602.jpeg

Thanks in advance 

• 3 weeks later...

Aframe, what I would ask is what is the hand pump max PSI, what is the ram rated to and it would be REALLY nice to know the flow rate of the hand pump. 

You can (I think) figure this out with the Piston / Bore Diameter, Rod Diameter and speed of the Stroke. This also requires (again I think) you know the Pressure. That will give you a starting point. 

Do you have the make and model number?

Aframe, it is a good bet that what you have is a Templeton and Kenly (probably a military supplier for Simplex) RP3A-1 10,000 psi Pump.  I would venture that your ram is also rated at 10,000 psi.  Note that there is only one way in, and one way out.  That strongly suggests that the ram return is an internal spring mechanism.

I have more to say, but only upon request.  I spent an hour tracing the product back from that unreadable label, and shape of the valve knob, and the tail mount casting. I enjoy this kind of sluething...

Robert Taylor

9 hours ago, Anachronist58 said:

I enjoy this kind of sluething...

Robert, if I could find a hat to fit my over sized head I would tip it to you. I did a bit of looking but did not have time to come up with anything useful. 

Well done.

Why, thank you, eseeman! At the onset of the search, I had scant hope of success...

On 3/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, Aframe said:

Any help would be appreciated.

I see that there was a 3 week lag in the initial response - that happens sometimes...