I Forge Iron

New Englander, doing historical research

I tend to be a bit nomadic, but currently I hang my hat in New Hampshire. 

I’ve sort of taken the reins in researching and recording my family’s history/genealogy, as other family members have gotten to old or haven’t had time to devote to it. As it turns out, I’ve hit a brick wall at a 19th century blacksmith on my patrilineal line. I guess it was in doing that deep-dive that piqued my interest in the trade, and I’d like to give it a go myself. I think in doing so may also give me a better understanding of the person I’m researching. 

My ancestor’s blacksmithing work took him from Maine to San Francisco (twice, I believe), and to Minneapolis, at the very least.  The logistics of that in the mid 19th century seem pretty impressive, but I have very little idea what sort of projects he was actually involved in that would warrant that sort of coast-to-coast travel. He also found the time to join the Union army, and later the reserve (invalid) corps. 

The more I pour through these threads, and dive into old blacksmithing books, the more insight and understanding I gain. Now, I’m hooked. Thanks!

Welcome! Where are you in New Hampshire? (I used to live in Sugar Hill, near Franconia.)

I STRONGLY recommend you connect with the New England Blacksmiths, the local affiliate of ABANA (the Artist-Blacksmith's Association of North America), a number of whom are members here on IFI. In addition to hosting gatherings all over New England, they have a teaching center in Brentwood, NY and a lot of good educational resources. Here's their website: http://www.newenglandblacksmiths.org/