I Forge Iron

End of march vacation to pigeon forge, Tennessee

Dewnmoutain

Hi there.

My family has a vacation scheduled to go to Pigeon Forge at the end of this month. And for the most part, i am looking forward to the trip. But, there is a day where the family is slated to go to Dollywood and spend a day there. That is the part that I am not looking forward to.  Due to my PTSD, i just dont do large crowds. i go from withdrawn and angry, to really really angry and blacking out (usually when this happens i tend to make lots of people cry). So I was wondering if there were any blacksmiths in/around the greater pigeon forge area that would be willing to babysit a traveling blacksmith for a day? id be willing to swing a hammer and help you with that project that needs two smiths to work on. we can wax eloquence about the exact number of too many irons in the fire and if it is possible to strike when the iron is too hot. 

if youre so inclined, feel free to send me a PM.

thanks

I am not/will not be in the area, but best of luck to you. Kudos for acknowledging your situation, advocating for yourself and your needs, and taking constructive action to minimize and avoid the sources of stress. I hope you're able to work something out.

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up not too far from Pigeon Forge in Southeast Tennessee.  I live in Nashville now, but my wife and I (often with friends) usually go to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg at least twice a year.  It's kind of like a local mecca for Blacksmiths and other 'rustic' type activities.  In many local businesses, you will see hand-made knives from local Blacksmiths in the area.  Some of these Blacksmiths have classes you can schedule for half a day, full day, or even a weekend.  One that comes to mind is Mohr Custom Knives.  IIRC, their shop is about 30 minutes from Pigeon Forge.  Also, while you're in the area, a cool place to stop is Smokey Mountain Knife Works.  It's in nearby Sevierville, and I stop there pretty much every time I pass through.  If I'm not mistaken, it's the largest knife store in the country.  

As far as Dollywood goes...  I also have some PTSD, and it didn't bother me to be there.  It's actually a pretty decent and laid back place.  But, better safe than sorry, I always say. 

The Log Cabin Pancake House in Gatlinburg is a great place to eat breakfast.  It's very hard to get in during the busy season, but you shouldn't have any trouble in March.  Also, if you don't mind a little nip every now and then, try a tasting at Ole Smokey Moonshine.  It's a pretty fun experience.  Hope you have a safe and fun trip.  Report back and let us know how the trip goes.

You're very welcome.  I don't know if I'll have answers for you, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.  I would suggest taking a late afternoon drive up to Clingman's dome.  It's the highest peak in the Smokey Mountains National Park.  There's a pretty good view from the observation point.  Keep in mind, back a few years ago, they had terrible wildfires there that decimated much of the natural beauty of the area.  You'll see evidence of the fires, especially on hill sides surrounding Gatlinburg.