I Forge Iron

does this count as a NARB ?

Domnu

I have experimentet a little with putting an expansion chamber with a hole-plate in front of a venturi burner. the chamber is 2" in diameter and the hole plates are simply reused stainless meat grinder plates. I have tried different plates with different hole sizes and so far most worked pretty good. You get distinct small flames from each hole. This setup is a lot more stable at really low pressures (stable below 0.1 bar in a hot forge on 0.6mm nozzle), it is quieter and the heat is more even in the forge. Not sure if this is a "ribbon burner" or something else but I really like these. the yellow flame colour in the pictures is mostly because of dust. it went away after a while.

20220209_134342.jpg

20220209_134338.jpg

20220209_134318.jpg

The "Ribbon" in ribbon burner is in reference to the shape being long and narrow. What you made is more of a "Button" burner. NABB(?) Latticino has been using multiple orifice burners for decades and whatever he says it's actually called is what I'll call it. 

I'll be looking forward to hearing how well it works for lengths of time.  I'd be concerned that the metal plate you use for the orifices will get hot enough to cause ignition of the fuel air  mixture in the plenum. (expansion chamber)

Welcome to the multiple outlet burner maker club, glad to have you.:)

Frosty The Lucky.

I have used this burner for about  3 months, about 3-6 hours a day with a lot of forgewelding. haven't had any problems with ignition in the plenum also no  damage from oxidation on the plate itself. here is a picture of one of the other burners with a homemade plate. It has been running for approximately 50-60 hrs including a lot of forgewelding and looks just as crappy as the day I made it.

20220209_134557.jpg

Good info.  Thanks for sharing.  I didn't really need another rabbit trail to run down, but now I've got one when I run out of things to do.  That looks like less effort than some of the NARBs I've built, so if it functions as well or better overall I'm on board.  I hope my latest one holds up for a while, but if it doesn't then I know what I'm going to try next.