I Forge Iron

Propane forge liner cracking…..need advice

Ok so i had cracks in my 3 burner majestic forge. I ordered a new kit from majestic forge directly. Installed everything following the directions to a T. Did the heat up cycle according to the directions, but after i would say 20-30 min of use, these cracks appeared. Dont know what went wrong or how i can prevent this moving forward. Any ideas? Thanks in advance 

52BC8AE6-DCC6-441B-BA0A-E4C41E7F5507.jpeg

5C104FD8-0E0A-46C4-9B09-99078D4DB99F.jpeg

600F12B3-19D5-4A48-9284-EB408B00BFF0.jpeg

I've never had much success with ceramic board roofs. In my experience they always seem to sag and crack.  This is one of the main reasons I prefer a cylindrical forge body.  On heat treat ovens I have used special SS board hanger pins to support this, but the forge temperatures will kill those.  The wall cracks aren't a big deal, but the roof cracks are a structural issue.  I suppose you could cast an arch inside your forge (Kastolite 30), but you would be giving up some space and the heatup time will increase a little.

What do the manufacturer's advise?

I hadn't thought of cast groin to prevent sagging Laticinno. Worth trying I think.

I've seen ceramic board liners with cracks without hurting how it works. The sagging could be an issue. I was going to suggest using Plistex 900 and cementing the cracks. The stuff is sticky as all git-out and more than up to the temperatures. I wonder if it would cement the board to the shell and prevent sagging too? 

JMmass: Did any pieces of the old liner break or fall? If the liner is staying put I wouldn't worry too much about cracks. Maybe do a longer slower heat cure if you have to replace this one?

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

Talk to your local Pottery/Ceramics friend and have some buttons made that look like 1 1/2-2" diameter drawer pull handles, with a single sideways hole through the end of the stem (stem length, accidentally, is the same as the thickness of your FORGE Lining). We hold them in place with nickle wire and a small hole in the outside body to tie it through. Nickle wire is 'Clothes Dryer Element'. How many old 'Clothes Dryers' have you passed on the side of the road. HELLOOO!!!!!!

Neil