I Forge Iron

Unusual Flat Belt Grinder, anyone seen 1 like this?

wrenchguy

I believe it was fastened to a vertical surface because of the curved reinforcement bulge of the casting along its bottom.  The grease cups may indicated its got roller bearings.  Is there a specific term used for style of grinder?  

Thanks for looking.

Front.

g13.jpg 

Rear.

gr6.jpg

Right end w/ mounting holes.

gr5.jpg

Left end.

gr3.jpg

Interesting, it might be part of a machine that needed the product ground as part of the production steps. 

I picked up 4-5 grinders similar to this, not as odd but all belt driven bolt downs. I got them for, "just get them out of here. I was thinking of mounting them on a turn table with a single 1hp motor in the center. I thought I could turn the table, switch the belt over and present a different grinder, wire wheel, buffer, etc. 

When I got them home and unloaded I realized that like yours I'd have to remove the shaft to put a belt on it. So much for the quick change idea and no wonder the guy had his kid loading them in my truck before I got a good look. 

The bearings on mine are porous bronze and one is babbit. They all turn free and easy and I could use modern belts that can be opened but I have a lot of back burners ahead of that "I wonder if" project. 

Let us know what you do with it, I'm always looking for good ideas even if I don't have anything to do with it when I see it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I saw a odd ball flat belt grinder setup on Craigslist,

it had a cast iron stand an was probably around 5 foot wide, the flat belt drove the shaft and there were quite a few setups on it for cutting, buffing, grinding, wire wheel ect.. and a blower that collected all the dust,

the person selling it said it came from an old shoe factory,