I Forge Iron

Not sure which rigidizer and refractory to use

I’m working on insulating my new gas forge properly. I’m a little overwhelmed with all the recommendations online for rigidizer and refractory cement. From my research I’m pretty sure I’m supposed to rigidize the kaowool and then line the inside of my forge with a refractory cement. As of now I’m planning to use the Hell’s Forge Hellcote 3000 refractory. Is this a good one? I’m also unsure which rigidizer to use. I found this one on Amazon but I want to hear what folks recommend before I buy:  Link remeved

I’ve seen that it’s best to use 2 layers of 1” kaowool. Is just one layer okay? Only one layer came with the forge so I would prefer to not have to buy anymore, but I will if necessary. 
Any advice is appreciated as this is my first time insulating a forge. 
Thanks in advance

If I were you, I would check out the supplies listed here. Then compare the prices. Whenever someone calls the product "cement" I would be suspicious of it. I would use two layers of 1 inch Kaowool which will double the insulating capability of the forge.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/254-gas-forge-refractories-and-supplies/

Ditto products with "cement or mortar" in the name being suspect. Seems many if not most folks call refractory cement or mortar whether it is or not. This comes from so many outfits and do it yourselfers using mortar or cement to line their forges. . . TEMPORARILY. Cements and mortars are intended to stick things together rather than survive flame contact. A propane flame is very chemically active and tends to eat stuff alive.

As mentioned already you can buy small quantities of proper castable hard refractory from  the Iforge store, link at the top of the page or follow the one Randy posted in his reply. 

Rigidizing it is a good idea, the commercial rigidizers are expensive and I don't know if they're better for what we need or not. The general consensus here is fumed silica mixed with clean fresh water spritzed on generously works well. Spritz the ceramic blanket with plain fresh water first so the rigidizer bonds correctly, this is called "buttering" and is a standard mason's technique.

A second layer of ceramic blanket would be preferable but I don't know how much usable space that would leave you in a Hells Forge. Other IfI members have them, I expect one will speak up before long. From what I recall from their opinions Hells Forge is a pretty decent entry level propane forge for the money.

Frosty The Lucky.

Phil,

I used the Hellcote on my current forge and it worked real well. My ribbon burner set up has two layers of 1” Morgan Ceramics, Hellcote in between and on the inside. I have been hitting welding temp with about 5-7# on my propane regulator with no problem. The picture is before I put the door on. 871013FE-DE47-4210-A9D4-FAC43BEAEA00.jpeg.085f88d244a929fa798036f0721c1fb2.jpeg