I Forge Iron

Production Dipping Paint

Steven Bronstein

I have a large production run of plant hangers (100+). This could be an ongoing item. I have tried various methods of painting including hanging on swivels and spray painting with cans and HVLP Guns. I also tried dipping but was never able to get a good result. 

I am tumbling them in a homemade tumbler as my prep. 

I am curious if anyone has successfully dipped and/or setup for production powder coating. 

One of my challenges is a limited amount of space for creating a large enough spray booth which is why dipping has always interested me. I am also trying to avoid more prep beyond tumbling and wiping of the dust.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

How large are the plant hangers?  Do you have a heated room large enough to hold the hangers, and maintain the proper temperature to set the power coating?

Powder coating looks good until the first chip or crack in the coating.  Then moisture gets under the coating and pops it off.  There is no way to fix the resulting damage other than to remove all the power coating and apply another type coating.

Contact your paint supplier and ask about the proper paint and proper paint viscosity for dipping.  Is that an air dry paint and how long does it take to air dry?  Will it be thin enough to get into all the small spaces?  What about the paint drips that will form on the plant hangers?