I Forge Iron

Finally getting back into the melt

Despite being a combat veteran, I have been struggling with my foundry since a brass/steam explosion months ago. Over the last two months, I've managed to fire up the foundry 2 times, and my anxiety was palpable. It's an odd feeling to be THAT shook up by anything at this point in my life, it takes a lot to put me off-balance. Anyways, my scrap collection is brimming and I need to make some ingots. Apologies for limited participation on the forums recently, a few months ago I thought I was ready to get back into it but that wasn't the case. 

Here's to finishing out 2021 SAFELY and not letting anything stand in the way of a good time. Hope you all are doing well, and thanks for all the information I've learned here. 

Oh, and ALWAYS preheat your molds thoroughly. ;)

I recall you but I don't recall a steam/brass explosion. That is some serious BADNESS, were you or anyone else hurt? 

Any time someone does a melt, even a "low" temperature melt they should feel some degree of anxiety. It's inherently dangerous, any mistakes can be catastrophic. My father had an adage we heard so often we got sick of it but it's as true as it gets. "You have to respect it but you can't fear it." It being the thing you're doing. He was not amused when I made the observation that respect is a degree of fear. 

A little fear inspires a person to pay attention to detail, make and follow check lists, not cut corners, wear PPE and have emergency gear at hand. 

So, tell  us what are you casting? You aren't thinking of melting scrap, making ingots and selling them as scrap are you? That's a sure way to lower the value of your scrap considerably. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome back.  Always glad to have another vet, particularly a grunt.

Just remember, after getting bucked off you need to get back on right away.  Sometimes a good scare is what is needed to avoid becoming complacent and sloppy.

GNM

late of 1/C/1/12 Cav/1Cav Div (airmobile), Rep. of viet Nam, 1970-71

Frosty: The melts are for enjoyment, NOT for scrap value. I’m building a collection that I’ll enjoy. 

The steam/brass explosion was the result of not sufficiently preheating my cast iron mold. I had a bunch of pencil-eraser sized 3rd degree burns, my Apple Watch was ruined, as my foundry gloves turned out to be crap. For the most part, just very shook up. I wear full protective gear, apron/gloves/face shield, and have a respirator for the more hazardous metals. 

Anyways, I’m going to fire it up this weekend, despite the propane prices (jeez). I get scrap stators and little motors from scrapping and from friends, dismantle and melt the goods. 

Thanks for the replies, it does this man good. 

Hot metal into a cold mold can be just too darned exciting! Some burns and losing a too darned expensive watch is enough punishment, it could've been much worse. I was involved in similar experiences in High School metal shop, twice thanks to the same clown.

Once the bottom of the mold broke so molten aluminum got poured on the concrete floor and splashed molten aluminum in about  20' radius. The second time the same idiot who deliberately broke the mold dropped a piece of aluminum in the pot in the melter. An act expressly forbidden ANY student not under direct  supervision by the instructor. Dip stick had opened his mold almost as soon as it was poured and because it was so hot he cooled the casting in the sink. Ruined it, it wasn't completely solidified even. Well, he was mad ANOTHER casting failed so he took it straight out of the sink and poked it in the crucible in the melter.

That one lifted the lid on the melter and miraculously didn't burn anybody even mildly. Mr. stoopid got a couple little 1st degree burns on his forehead. 

I'm not sure but I think that was the last shop class he was allowed to take in the California school system.

Sorry, some vivid memories from one of the best classes on the planet. 

Please don't use the @ symbol on people's names, it doesn't work like other social media platforms but it does cause the moderators extra work tracking it down and killing or disabling it because it messes up this forum's operating software.

It's a habit, we understand but . . .

Frosty The Lucky.