I Forge Iron

My new Gas furnace,a few questions before I 'Fire it up'

I just got my Toauto 12 KG forge today, Commercial links removed and I have a two main questions

1. It came with a bit of cotton-like material on the underside of the lid, and it is completely blocking the exhaust hole in the top. Is this just shipping protection, or is it supposed to be here?
  2. Should I do seasoning of the crucible or the mold to make them last longer or anything?

If this has already been answered, sorry. I am a bit new here. Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by Mod30
Remove commercial links per TOS

Welcome aboard Nemo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members in your area. 

I tried to look at Toauto's site but it seemed to be nothing but sales, within a few seconds a chat window opened and cut off any useful information. 

By your second question regarding curing a crucible I assume you wish to melt metal. A forge is used to heat steel to make it more malleable to beat to shape on an anvil. 

If you're casting the furnace  used to melt the metal is called a "Melter" and no, COT a SMELTER that's a different thing used to refine metal from ore, the rock in which it occurs in nature.

Terminology is important so folk know what you're talking about without having to guess like I just did or question you.

Frosty The Lucky. 

One thing that concerns me about the furnace (got a look before link removed) is it looks like it has UN-coated insulating wool (no rigidizer or refractory). If so it will be a breathing health hazard with fibers airborne. You might check with the seller about that.

17 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Have you contacted the manufacture about it? Did it come with an owners manual? I imagine if it is cotton it will burn right away at first firing.

I have not contacted the manufacturer specifically, and in the owners manual that came with it it did not say anything about it.

17 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

One thing that concerns me about the furnace (got a look before link removed) is it looks like it has UN-coated insulating wool (no rigidizer or refractory). If so it will be a breathing health hazard with fibers airborne. You might check with the seller about that.

Did you see where it appeared to be? Because the walls of the furnace are coated with a hard, ceramic-looking substance, but the top of the lid has the material on it in question.

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Nemo, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members in your area. 

I tried to look at Toauto's site but it seemed to be nothing but sales, within a few seconds a chat window opened and cut off any useful information. 

By your second question regarding curing a crucible I assume you wish to melt metal. A forge is used to heat steel to make it more malleable to beat to shape on an anvil. 

If you're casting the furnace  used to melt the metal is called a "Melter" and no, COT a SMELTER that's a different thing used to refine metal from ore, the rock in which it occurs in nature.

Terminology is important so folk know what you're talking about without having to guess like I just did or question you.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thank you for the tip about the location. The site was not the most useful, I mainly put it there so people could better know what I am talking about (I have since learned that off site links are a no-no.) Sorry about the terminology confusion, I am still working out the differences between other terminologies. Yes it is a melter, I intend to be working with UBC scrap to start, and maybe moving on to pure copper scrap later. I hope that clears up any confusion.