I Forge Iron

What would you pay for this colonial anvil?

What's it weigh?

Needs the face wire wheeled and ring and rebound checked to get a good idea of its quality. 

Also to know if that weird line looking area across the middle of the face is a crack or not. 

If it checks out what is it worth to you? How much do you want or need it? 

Cleaning it up and finding a makers mark might help or atleast be interesting as well. 

If it checked out I would pay probably $2. lb. Maybe $3. Being it is an older one, but I already have a few anvils tho. and only buy if it is a good deal. 

I don't see a hardy hole either. 

The line going across could be a crack and is probably where they welded the face on is sections.  If a section weld line lines up with a welding up the body from chunks line then they are a bit more prone to weld failures.

Ring and Bounce test!   If a good ring & bounce then US$3+.  Unfortunately the older the anvil is the better the chance it was in a structure fire.  I'm not bothered by the lack of a hardy.

Not saying a lack of a hardy hole is a bad thing. But then, I know workarounds to not need one. And some would actually prefer one in an anvil for convenience. I was just mentioning it in case it mattered. 

Op mentioned having one without a horn. Might be a good deal on this one, might be money better spent on one with a horn And hardy hole. Op also didn't mention if his other anvil had one or if he even was worried about it.

Thanks for the responses. I don't need another anvil,I have a few, but I do like obviously like them and especially colonial era smithy things.   If I get it, my uncle is just going to snatch it for me.  I'll see if I can get him to do a rebound test. From the pictures it doens't look to be in horrible shape... Assuming the rebound is decent.

The early anvils of that era, weren't made with hardy holes, they where sometimes added later. 

Being what it is I love the historic end of it. I have a decent pre 1830's mousehole without the pritchel hole. I use it at demos being that it is just under 100#. 

So really, the possible crack or delam of the faceplate might be my concerns about value other than ring and rebound (which a wire wheeled face would more accurately tell.) So really, not Needing it, the ball is in your court as far as what to pay and what they will take. To be fair to the family of the previous owner my and Thomas guestimates are fair. 

My uncle ended up getting it for $200. He says its probably about 80lbs.  He restores old cars and sometimes needs an anvil for sheet metal..... His 221lbs Peter Wright is in my possession. He told me "I told you can have it and don't want to go back on my word"... I could tell he wanted to keep it.. He's gonna hold on it. I just asked him to not really abuse the horn.

Pictures aren’t the best but a year ago my uncle couldn’t text. I’m slowly becoming technologically challenged uncle myself so I’m not judging. I wasn’t expecting him to buy it for me.  But he did and also kinda fell in love with it but told me it’s mine eventually anyways. Can’t wait to go see it in person. I’m curious about the rebound.

55821495-C354-4FD8-B3B9-C2CDB9CE7B15.jpeg

B6D8B6EB-2FE5-48FE-AA03-DC8B432920CA.jpeg