I Forge Iron

Effect of two different chimney diameters?

Lutz

The final significant project in my shop is the chimney for the coal forge. I am planning to do a Super Sucker style hood. I have some (about 10’) of stainless double wall pipe that has an 8” ID, which I understand is a bit undersized as most recommend 10-12” to ensure good airflow. My question is, if I use that 8” ID pipe until I transition through the roof and then go to 10” single wall, how will that impact my airflow? Will there be a benefit to using the 10” for the final run, or would it make little difference if the initial section is only 8” ID? I’d appreciate any input. Thank you!

14 hours ago, Glenn said:

The area of a 8 inch circle is 50.27 square inches.  The area of a 10 inch circle is 78.54 square inches.  10 inch is 1.56 times larger.  You can not get 10 inches of draft through a 8 inch pipe. 

That part makes sense to me, but what I wasn’t sure about is whether the fact that the chimney opens to 10” inches increases the pressure differential such that there is some advantage to having that occur to as opposed to just sticking with 8” all the way. I know the 8” portion will not truly function as though it were 10”, but I wasn’t sure if there might be some improvement in performance.

My chimney does go from 8in to 10 double wall then up through the roof and it works well for me.

100_2135.thumb.JPG.091236764d622735b254de8d29fa038e.JPG

I just found a thread about the stack size and I have my pipe sizes here wrong. It's 6 in from the hood to 8in. This may help.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/66496-new-coal-forge-any-luck-with-8-chimney-pipe-and-half-hood/

Edited by Irondragon ForgeClay Works
add picture and thought

I agree with Glenn. You wont get the full performance of a 10 inch stack no matter what you do. However, if you go this route, make sure the opening on your side draft is sized for the smallest diameter of pipe in your stack.

(i.e. less than 50.25 sq. in)