I Forge Iron

Columbian 504 1/2

Justin Topp

Found this old Columbian 504 1/2 at an antique store for 45$. Brought I home and after an excessive amount of penetrating oil I got it loose. wire wheeled and painted it. Not sure on how I like the paint. But it works well so that’s what matters. 

4.5” jaws. About 48 lbs 

7586F145-6517-432F-AFA2-B5B965307526.jpeg

8322C485-F7AF-4EB5-B51E-D5C93D78779B.jpeg

7E261388-4F8C-47D9-B5B0-9BCD6E443932.jpeg

Thanks to the both of you. 

I like the machine gray a lot (although I wish it was a hair darker and a little more “blue” if you get what I’m saying) 

I’m just more partial to a raw iron look than paint normally. But the wire wheel made it a little too shiny in places for me. 

I know what you're saying and you're right about what it needs to be old school gvt. machine shop gray. Most of the punch presses Dad had were Navy surplus and the color gray you're thinking of. He had a couple pieces of machinery that were light industrial green and being the only pieces a different color I became fond of the color. 

Thinking about it, most of Dad's equipment was gvt. gray and most had a dozen layers of it. Some of his spinners used chipped out spots to hold cigarettes when they needed both hands. 

My shop sweats too much for iron/steel to stay shiny and I'm not partial to rust so I paint it my shop colors, hunter green and gold.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yup old school machine gray is what I want. This was sold as dark machine gray but it’s pretty light. 

My shop is dry enough usually that things don’t rust. As long as I give them a nice oiling/ waxing now and again. 

I’m thinking about getting a color matched paint to some of the old school machines. 

Try Navy gray. Not "Battleship gray though that's close, maybe it was Navy Tool Room gray? Darn, there's a name, maybe machine gray is right but I'll bet everybody and their brother has a close shade. 

Maybe chip a little paint you like and take it to an automotive paint supplier and have some enamel mixed up. You could buy a quart can of "machine gray" and a bottle of Black enamel model paint and adjust it yourself. If you try it I HIGHLY suggest you add black by BARELY touching the tip of a needle to the black for a measure to add. One small drop of black changed a gallon of white to charcoal. Black is a STRONG pigment.

Frosty The Lucky.