I Forge Iron

Armitage Mousehole Information

Yann

Yann, congratulations on the new anvil.  I highly recommend you read or buy Richard Postman's book "Mousehole Forge", which details the fascinating history of the forge where the Mousehole anvils were made and the relationship of the Armitage anvils.

The 1.0.16 (CWT) is the weight as forged 128 pounds +/- a pound or so. Don't know what other info you might want. We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to put it in your profile. Don't know if you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face which will do more harm than good. In my area it would sell for $4.00-$5.00 US per pound, don't know about in Canada though. If you do a Google search like this mousehole anvil :site iforgeiron.com there are quite a few threads on them.

You have a very nice mouse.  The Sheffield England stamping and high S/N, indicate it was a late production (1920s/30s) anvil. The forge ceased production in 1933.

I have a 100 pound mouse from the same late production era, it is a sweet anvil to work on. I put it on a metal stand, bedded in silicone, with chains on the waist, and the ring is minimal.

Enjoy your mouse.

Edited by rustyanchor
Spellin and gramr fixn....

I need to cite the reference for the above post, and clarify what is speculation on my part.

Most of the info comes from Anvils in America (AIA) by Richard Postman. Your logo was used from about 1911 to the forge shut down in 1933. The highest S/N RP has seen is 24342 from 1911. Your S/N is 37xxx, so I would speculate a very late production.

I hope you enjoy it.

Please do the ball bearing test and give us the reading(s).  Looks a bit dinged up and I was worrying about the temper of the face.  Larger anvils are often softer faced than smaller ones; but that is a smaller one. (Both as an artifact of the heat treating process and to be safer with mouth breathing, knuckling dragging, minions with sledge hammers working on them...)