I Forge Iron

12 ft shear blades?

Savage11

Hello all, I acquired 12 ft long shear blade off of a sheet metal shear that is capable of cutting 1/4 mild steel. Would this material be suitable for knife making? The blades are super hard, I had a hard time cutting the blade in two via a three phase plasma cutter. Any and all information is welcome. The repair man that replaced the blades at work didn't know what exact grade of steel the blades are.

20210310_175512.jpg

If it is one of the high alloy ones; then heat treating a knife might be very difficult and forging and working would be tough as well. I suggest you research what alloys replacement blades are currently being made from to get an idea of the possibilities.

You can also do a grinding spark test to get data on what it might be.

Try the spark test first!  If it's a HSS it will have a dull spark with no branches.  They tend to be hard under the hammer even with heat and may cottage cheese on you if overheated. Correct heat treat to get the best from the steel may be impossible with blacksmith methods .