I Forge Iron

EBM Anvil info?

The best buys and scores at auctions that I have had over the years is when there is an odd item that does not fit into the main theme of the auction.  For example, when there is a farm auction, preferably at a fairly remote location, which is heavy on farm equipment such as combines and manure spreaders but has an old forge or anvil which has been in a barn for years.  Most people are there for the equipment and you may be able to score the outlier, the forge or anvil, for a reasonable amount.

Also, it helps to know more about an item and its value than the other people there.  I once scored a signed Lincoln document for $350 ( present value around $7k+) because I knew more about historic documents than anyone else present.  Many people thought it was a reproduction or a fake but I recognized the Great Seal of the US as authenticating the document.  The same is true for blacksmithing equipment.  Most auction attendees and auctioneers at a farm auction don't know much about smithing equipment and its value.  However, an auction advertised as a blacksmith auction will attract knowledgeable folk and items will go for a higher prices.

I usually bring a book to occupy myself while they are selling the things I am not interested in.  But, you have to pay attention because they will sometimes jump around among the items.  Keep your situational awareness.

Finally, don't get caught up in a bidding war.  Know what you will pay for and item and drop out if it goes even one dollar over that price.  This is not an absolute hard and fast rule but it applies much more often than not.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

19 minutes ago, George N. M. said:

I recognized the Great Seal of the US as authenticating the document.  The same is true for blacksmithing equipment. 

I have never once seen the Great Seal of the US on a piece of blacksmithing equipment. Maybe things are different out West.

I've only bought 1 anvil at an auction:  It was a going out of business sale of an HVAC company, held on a holiday weekend.  Even so it was one of my most expensive anvils per pound: US$150 for a 134# Hey Budden in quite good shape.  Only two of us bid on the anvil.

(No antique dealers, no "civilians", few business folks because of the holiday weekend; hmm now that I think of it that is a lot like I got my screw press cheap; Business auction where all the folks wanted the NEW tooling for their factories.)