I Forge Iron

An S W Putnam horizontal milling machine.

5 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Involute gear cutters can be expensive.  Sometimes not so much if you can't buy a gear.  And sometimes the price of a gear can pay for the cutter.  I used to snap them up at auction cheap, others not knowing or caring what they are.

Absolutely. I got this mill with all the goodies for 500 bucks. I had run a vertical mill and was actually wanting one worse than this one but this was the only one for sale around here and the price couldn't be beat so I snatched it up and youtubed the xxxx out of it to learn how to operate it. Ruined the first 2 gear blanks learning the dividing head. Makes nice keyways. lol

Jim

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language

4 hours ago, Nodebt said:

What kind of machine did you desire?  Word to the wise, you can't swear hereabouts.  Thomas, I have a armature cutter that works on the same principal....

I was trying to find a decent American made vertical mill. No Chinese xxxx is allowed in my shop. But these mills bring 3000 bucks around here IF you can find one.

Jim

Edited by Mod34
Edited for inappropriate language