I Forge Iron

Buffalo Forge Co.

tex

I picked this up from a mate of mine. It is rusted and seized up so the challenge is to get it back into working order. At the moment it is in a bucket of molasses and water (about 40/60 mix) to remove the rust.
I will post the results of the rust removal in about two weeks.

7725.attach

7726.attach

7727.attach

I have never heard of molasses and water before, I always use vinagar for removing rust, have you used this mix before? does it work good?
After you get the bulk of the rust off, if it still does'nt turn try soaking it in a bucket of diesel fuel for a couple days or just get a good penetrating oil, my favorite and the best I know of is Kroil, it's not cheap but I have not seen anything that it won't free up and we used to restore old tractors that had been siting around rusting for decades and it always freed up everything I ever needed, it comes in gallons, quarts and spray cans.

welder19

Some of my mates have used molasses before with excellent results. This is the first time i have tried it so it is in the experimental stage. There is a lot of info on the web about using molasses but i have not read a straight answer as to why it works... lots of theories (such as as it ferments it becomes acetic acid/vinegar) but no answers. I think people like to use it as it is cheap and easily available.
Thanks for the diesel advice and i am confident i can find a penetrating oil with a bit of a search.

One theory I've heard is molasses has a small percentage of phosphoric acid in it. It also has quite a bit of iron in it too so I don't know how the phosphoric is supposed to work.

Regardless there are a number of professionals using it.

Blowers aren't tight tolerance machines and usually restore quite well.

Frosty.

Hey guys, after reading this post and realized that I had to chime in. I have recently used molasses and water to remove rust from several blowers that I was working on. I used one gallon of molasses to 20 gallons of water. I let it brew for about two weeks. After the smell got good and bad I just set the items in there for several weeks and forgot about them. This isnt a process you use if your in a hurry. Once I pulled them out, all the rust was removed. After about 15 minutes, a light coating of rust appeared. Hindsight, I should have rubbed it down with baking soda or something similiar.
It stinks really bad and I mean really bad. Wear long gloves when handling it, no amount of washing, mojo, grease cutter, etc will remove the lingering scent of it from your hands before you are able to go to sleep. The wife will put you on the couch. It doesnt burn you hands or anything like that. Also, do not pour it out on your grass, it will kill it. Maybe used for weed killing along fencelines, lol. Hope this helps
Bryan

Back in the 40's a traveling salesman came through a farming comunity trying to sell a new miricle penatrating oil. He was trying his best to get an old farmer to buy some and told hime it was so good you could put it on a piece of rust metal one day and by the next it would penatrate though to the other side. So the salesman said how much would you like to buy?. the farmer said "I cant use any of that". The saleman replies "Why not?" The old farmer looks at the saleman and smile "I aint got anything to keep it in."
I can't pass up a chance to tell that!!!! lol

Back in the 40's a traveling salesman came through a farming comunity trying to sell a new miricle penatrating oil.

The old farmer looks at the saleman and smile "I aint got anything to keep it in."
I can't pass up a chance to tell that!!!! lol

Great story! Thanks.

Frosty