I Forge Iron

Hello from Stirling, Scotland

Alan the bodger

New to the forum as I've just recently bought some bits and bobs to heat stuff for bashing. I "learnt" how to do this as part of my apprenticeship nearly 40 years ago, but promptly forgot it all as I never used the skills again for work. So I'll have loads of questions to ask but first, I'll do some reading :D

Good Morning, Alan

Welcome from the left Coast of North America.

If you put the area of your local in your Avatar, there probably are others fairly close to you. Hook up with someone close to you and you will learn better with 'Hands-On'.

There are members here from all around the Globe. It is hard to give proper advice when everyone has a different set-up. The reality is, get something hot, have a safe way to hold it, have something to hit it with, have something to hit it on. Sometimes you will have an idea of what you wish to make, sometimes it is a surprise and then you decide. There are many 'Right Way's' to do something and also many 'Unsafe Way's'. Keep your PPE gear on and enjoy the journey. Your previous experience will poke it's head through when least expecting it. Enjoy the Journey!!

Happy almost,

Neil

Welcome aboard Alan, glad to have you. I'm glad I looked Bodger up before laying fingers to key, I recalled it meaning a wooden chair maker. It's a much wider term, cool I learned something and we haven't even talked! :)

It's funny how many blacksmiths started out as wood workers who thought it'd be easier and cheaper to make their own blades than buy or order them. A man with an anvil and grinder can make any chisel, planer blade, etc. s/he needs from scrounged or scrap steel for a little time and effort. 

However, while you're learning the craft I recommend you buy known steel new for the consistency. Evaluating, working and heat treating scrap steels is a skill set of it's own. You'll progress much more quickly taking these two related but different learning curves individually, WITHOUT the number of failures.

Frosty The Lucky.