I Forge Iron

Will 1095 make a good machete

Hi all.

I have some .125 inch x 12" x 1.5" 1095 stock (bought some blanks for knives), but I'm thinking of making a machete.  I was going to forge out the tang and would have to draw out the rest of the blank which will result in a pretty thin machete.  It's only going to be used for fairly light camping type work.   Which I believe means I'll need some pretty springy steel. 

Will 1095 work for what I want?

I'm new to forging and knife making, so I have limited tools, but let me know if there is anything else I should consider?  I have quenched my other knives with Canola Oil.  I'm unsure how well it worked.

5160, often used for leaf springs in cars, is generally sourced at mechanics/car repair, scrapyards, junkyards, and best---places that do lifts and lowers on vehicles and so may have springs that do not have 100K+ miles on them and incipient fatigue cracks.  I once had a student who worked at a place that built trucks into ambulances;  they threw out spring sets with 16 miles on them!  Just from the dealership to the conversion shop.  I would look for nice thin ones as they would be less work than massive thick ones. I used to buy drops for knives at a place that actually made rfeplacement leaf springs back 30+ years ago.

And please don't use the "at" sign!

Thanks Thomas!  I'll check with my mechanic so see if they have anything!  Sorry for the @ option - why do people not like that?  I don't get notifications from iforge when someone replies, so I thought that the @ would help with that.

If you click the little "Follow topic" button at the bottom of the page, you will get an emailed notification whenever anyone replies to a thread you're following.

A couple of years ago, I had the good fortune to use a really sweet machete to chop up some branches and small trees. It wasn't anything like the massive chunky things you usually see, but with a very thin (~1/16" max) blade that was flexible without being sloppy, held a great edge, and was quite easy to swing for a long period of time. While I haven't attempted anything like it myself since then, one thing that was REALLY clear to me was the critical importance of heating the blade evenly for the heat-treatment. I can just imagine how a hard or soft spot in that expanse of thin blade could really change its performance.