I Forge Iron

Mystery metal

ede

I’m in the process of making a stock rack and came across some 10’ bars that I can’t identify.  Does this look like old paint?  I think I’m gonna recycle them instead of risk heating them up as I have a ton of new stock 3/8” and 1/2”.

3ACA2ECB-FF31-44F7-A59B-8779CF8BE341.jpeg

It doesn't look like galvanized to me. Were you thinking of using it for forging stock or to build a stock rack from it? If for forging, I would cut a short piece off and put it in a vinegar soak to see if the finish that's left comes off. One can never have too much stock:)and a job that this can be used on may show up.

ede, if you do a break or bend test, this is a comparison of wrought iron vs. mild steel.  The wrought iron should have a fibrous texture (fine to coarse, depending on the quality of the WI).  The mild steel should show a uniform microcrystalline structure.  This wrought iron came from the Old Globe grain warehouse in the Superior, Wisconsin area.

Mild steel 01.JPG

Wrought iron 01.JPG

1 hour ago, arkie said:

ede, if you do a break or bend test, this is a comparison of wrought iron vs. mild steel.  The wrought iron should have a fibrous texture (fine to coarse, depending on the quality of the WI).  The mild steel should show a uniform microcrystalline structure.  This wrought iron came from the Old Globe grain warehouse in the Superior, Wisconsin area.

Thanks for the photos, Arkie.  On the larger pieces when i cut it in half the other day with a diamond blade chop saw, I did see carbon sparks-I was also thinking potentially wrought.  Maybe the smaller rods are, I will check them out.  

4 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

It doesn't look like galvanized to me. Were you thinking of using it for forging stock or to build a stock rack from it? If for forging, I would cut a short piece off and put it in a vinegar soak to see if the finish that's left comes off. One can never have too much stock:)and a job that this can be used on may show up.

Oh, I believe there actually can be a problem of too much stock, I can attest to that.  The smith that used to forge here that passed away held onto every last drop and it was everywhere.  It can become a non-functional shop and walking hazard by having too much stock.  

Here’s some 20’ bars I cut in half the other day, and I still have tubing, angle iron, sucker rod, tool steel, ornamental iron from Kings, and much more to go.  I will post another picture of a vertical stock rack I added this year, either on this thread or a new one.   I have held on to so many short pieces and sorted them in buckets.  In the end I feel like it’s kinda a false economy because precious space is lost.  

For the stock rack I think I’m going to use tubing as it’s more rigid and will be holding lots of weight!

2C2B4341-758E-4593-905D-62C6FB51EF23.jpeg

6942979B-CFEB-4311-BFE8-19C5DAA8B9BE.jpeg

21E67B8B-5B81-4D91-9EC9-2CB1B0C9A3F8.jpeg